Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Patrol in the garage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Patrol in the garage

A play on my favorite thread " bearhawk in the backcountry"...
    Everyone loves sharing this milestone photo and now I understand why! You don't appreciate the effort to create such a small pile of junk until you do it, then it's not junk anymore.
    With the help of 46 MDF blocks of varying size, I'm left with 160 ribs and 260 angles (* counted before coffee this morning). It will be exciting when this project becomes more 3D but for now I'm happy.

-Mark

IMG_20150805_070241009[2].jpg

Attached Files
    Mark
    Scratch building Patrol #275
    Hood River, OR

Very nice. I still have to make it out there one of the days. Now for the spars.

Doug
    Scratch building Patrol #254

Comment

Well done Chewie. Looks like some excellent work. Spars next? Have you found a way to bend the spars especially the longer flap spars? That was my biggest challenge outside of building so far.
      John Snapp (Started build in Denver, CO) Now KAWO -Arlington Washington Bearhawk Patrol - Plans #255 Scratch built wing and Quickbuild Fuselage as of 11/2021. Working on skinning the left wing! -Ribs : DONE -Spars: DONE, Left wing assembly's: DONE., Top skins : DONE YouTube Videos on my building of patrol :https://m.youtube.com/user/n3uw

Comment

Yup, spars! I was planning on using a 10' brake, would that not work?

Mark

Mark
        Hood River, OR

Comment

wow, have you got access to a brake that big? It'll have to be stout to bend those shear webs. Those parts are well worth buying from Avipro.
          David Edgemon RV-9A N42DE flying RV-8 N48DE flying Patrol #232 N553DE in progress ! Plans built.

Comment

I believe there are a couple industrial 10' brakes here in town, but I'm just pricing out all the options now.... good tip re: avipro.
            Mark
            Mark
            Hood River, OR

Comment

Originally posted by Chewie View Post
              I believe there are a couple industrial 10' brakes here in town, but I'm just pricing out all the options now.... good tip re: avipro.
              Mark
              That is what I did. I found a local metal fabrication shop that had long brakes and shears. I took all my rolled stock and detailed dimensions and requirements. They cut and bent all of my spars and stiffeners for the skin at the flaps. I think the total cost was around $300-$400. this way I got the exact dimensions of the spars to fit my rib sizes. The shipping from Mark would have been a large portion of that alone because it would have to go freight. You will have a big freight charge for the cap strips unless you can find them locally.
              John Snapp (Started build in Denver, CO) Now KAWO -Arlington Washington Bearhawk Patrol - Plans #255 Scratch built wing and Quickbuild Fuselage as of 11/2021. Working on skinning the left wing! -Ribs : DONE -Spars: DONE, Left wing assembly's: DONE., Top skins : DONE YouTube Videos on my building of patrol :https://m.youtube.com/user/n3uw

Comment

While it's a fairly long drive for you, Bcone1381 and I used EAA's metal brake at Weeks Hangar on the north side of the airport in Oshkosh. If you can find a day to get over there, you'll enjoy the experience. Bring a friend! That brake is a two-person job!
                Christopher Owens
                Bearhawk 4-Place Scratch Built, Plans 991
                Bearhawk Patrol Scratch Built, Plans P313
                Germantown, Wisconsin, USA

Comment

I used this 10-footer for everything, worked fine on the flap spars.
                  You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                  This gallery has 1 photos.
                  Mark
                  Hood River, OR

Comment

Good to see progress.

Doug
                    Scratch building Patrol #254

Comment

Pretty cool!

Comment

Working...