Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fluting party

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fluting party

So I thought it was time for a title change. I routed the slots in the edges of the bending form and rounded off the edges so the metal doesn't split. Also routed out the lightening holes so the flanges fit inside (not pictured here).

Then I sandwiched the metal between the forms (started with the full-length ribs), and bent over the flanges with a mallet. Then I took a screwdriver and the mallet, and stretched the metal into the slots. You may remember me doing this on Bearhawk 4-place ribs some time back.

I used a little too much pressure and the rib came out bent a bit from too much stretching. So I used the seaming pliers to take the excess stretchy out. Looks mighty fine now.

Learn from the first, make the rest less worse :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Chris In Milwaukee; 03-07-2016, 06:13 PM.
    Christopher Owens
    Bearhawk 4-Place Scratch Built, Plans 991
    Bearhawk Patrol Scratch Built, Plans P313
    Germantown, Wisconsin, USA

That's some mighty fine work!

Bill

Comment

Working on the nose ribs tonight. Might get through one side. Takes a few steps to get them perfectly straight, between the bending, fluting, and Vans straightener. But dang they look good.

Last edited by Chris In Milwaukee; 03-08-2016, 09:03 PM.
    Christopher Owens

Comment

Finished up the right side nose ribs tonight, and with my friends Alan and Don, we got a start on the .025" center ribs. I've done this before, so I thought it would be a good experience for Alan, an apprentice A&P, to try his hand at tin bending.

Nice and straight.

About half done on the right side.

Christopher Owens

Comment

Chris,
        Things are looking great. I love your fluting method. I had tried one I had seen that was similar but the fluting groves on the edge where at angles. I did not have good success Andy went back to the fluting pliers. How much tweeting with pliers do you have to do after you take it out of the jig? I like your innovation.
        Originally posted by Chris In Marshfield View Post
        Finished up the right side nose ribs tonight, and with my friends Alan and Don, we got a start on the .025" center ribs. I've done this before, so I thought it would be a good experience for Alan, an apprentice A&P, to try his hand at tin bending.

Nice and straight.

About half done on the right side.

John Snapp (Started build in Denver, CO) Now KAWO -Arlington Washington Bearhawk Patrol - Plans #255 Scratch built wing and Quickbuild Fuselage as of 11/2021. Working on skinning the left wing! -Ribs : DONE -Spars: DONE, Left wing assembly's: DONE., Top skins : DONE YouTube Videos on my building of patrol :https://m.youtube.com/user/n3uw

Comment

Originally posted by N3UW View Post
          Chris,
          Things are looking great. I love your fluting method. I had tried one I had seen that was similar but the fluting groves on the edge where at angles. I did not have good success Andy went back to the fluting pliers. How much tweeting with pliers do you have to do after you take it out of the jig? I like your innovation.
          Thanks! Regarding tweaking, it takes very little, surprisingly. The grooves are quite shallow, maybe 1/8" inch deep, made with a 1/4" router bit. I've found that way, even if you get heavy on the hammer, it doesn't overstretch things. They come out of the jig almost perfectly flat every time. And after it goes through the Vans straightener, the flanges are fabulously straight. I did watch a video of a guy that used a Forsner bit in the side of the form to make his slots, but they were just a bit too big for my liking. And because our rivets are so close together, I thought I'd give this method a go. The results are way better than I could have ever imagined.

If it does curve up a bit from over-tightening, using some seaming pliers to gently squeeze out the fluting depth three or four at a time until it lays flat will do the trick. Kind of the opposite of the way you showed in your video with the fluting pliers to get it to lay flat.

I'd hoped I could get your flow-forming method to work for me, but I don't have enough rivet gun or air compressor capacity to make it work for me. So it's back to the hammer.
          Last edited by Chris In Milwaukee; 03-10-2016, 09:56 AM.
          Christopher Owens

Comment

Wrapped up the right side .025" center ribs, and the right side .032" center ribs. Started the false ribs behind the fuel tank. The .032" stuff takes some extra gumption to get those flanges bent over.

Christopher Owens

Comment

Finished up the .032" stuff (center ribs and false ribs), as well as all the aft ribs, and this completes the right side. Time to do it all over again on the left side.

The aft ribs can't be straightened at the tips with the Vans straightener, so went with the seaming pliers.

Group shot.

Christopher Owens

Comment

Chris, You are really doing a great job. In my opinion the methods you are using are what we should our community should publish as an "Industry Best Practice" for rib forming.

Brooks Cone
                Chelsea, MI
                Scratch building Patrol #303
                Brooks Cone
                Southeast Michigan
                Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

Getting a move on the left side. Routed out the other side of the beater board, relieving the lightening hole flanges. In case you were wondering what they look like because they weren't shown the last time around:

Not beautiful, but functional.

Did the full sized rib first, and starting with the nose ribs.

Christopher Owens

Comment

Jake stopped by to join Alan, Don, and myself with some rib bending. Another young fella and A&P hopeful working in the jet shop for a local business, I felt he needed some time working on "real" airplanes for a while. So we put him to work, trading places on the hammering crew and the straightener.

Didn't take him long to figure out how to get them nice and straight. The expression on his face when he watched the fluting pliers flatten out a rib was priceless. It's like it was some sort of black magic!

Don and Alan helped to finish up the rest of the nose ribs, too.

That's the last of those. Center ribs next!

Christopher Owens

Comment

Didn't have a lot of time to spend in the Airplane Factory tonight, but managed to get the .032" stuff finished up.

Taking next week off to take my family on a well-deserved vacation.

Christopher Owens

Comment

Looks awesome Chris. Thanks for all of the good reference photos. Keep it up.

Comment

• Chris In Milwaukee
                        Chris In Milwaukee commented
                        Editing a comment
                        My pleasure. :-) Just got back from vacation, so time to get back in the groove.

After a week of downtime soaking in solar radiation in the tropics, I'm getting back in the groove in the airplane factory. Finished up the aft ribs and aileron ribs for the other side. Flaps tomorrow, and the rest of the 0.025" center ribs.

Christopher Owens

Comment

Well, it's a wrap! Finished up the rest of the 0.025" stuff tonight, and the ribs are finished!

Daniel and Riley were my helpers tonight:

Family photo:

Time to move on to stiffening angles, rib attach angles, and spar webs. All are going to need a shear and a big brake. As Brooks mentioned last week, EAA has a 10-foot brake and very large shear. I'll get all of those taken care of in a long day in the next weekend or two. Headed to Weeks Hangar this weekend with the chapter to work on the B-25 restoration, as well as B-17 and Ford Trimotor maintenance. So my metalwork will have to wait until the following weekend. I have a lot of angle counting to do anyway between now and then. 😀

Last edited by Chris In Milwaukee; 03-31-2016, 09:58 PM.
                        Christopher Owens

Comment

• Bcone1381
                          Bcone1381 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Thank you for your service Chris! You guys will make memories that will last a life time. When I walked into the Weeks Hanger, I had no idea what I was in for. Before I left I climbed up and sat in the B-17 Bombardier seat in the nose. I also carefully looked over the waist gunner position where my Dad served.

Brooks Cone
                          Chelsea, MI
                          Patrol #303

• lsa140
                          lsa140 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          That last photo is a thing of beauty.
                      Working...
                      X