Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boot Cowl Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boot Cowl Question

I am working on the boot cowl. Is there any support, like a 3/4 piece of angle AL, that should be fabricated and installed from the top of the instrument panel forward to the fire wall? Wondering if the AL would sag or need support in this area. I seem to recall a scratch build that did it that way, but can t find the photo now, otherwise I would include it for comment The Bearhawk Build manual is silent on it, so at this point I think its not needed.

IMG_4413.jpg

Brooks Cone
    Southeast Michigan
    Patrol #303, Kit build

My top is one piece. One thing you could do, to stiffen the unsupported section, is bend down a short flange on the edge of the bottom piece.

Bill
    Last edited by Bdflies; 01-20-2018, 08:38 PM. Reason: to clarify

Comment

Bob covers the construction of the boot cowl in the Bearhawk Book as well as the early newsletters. He recommends the boot cowl being constructed in 3 pcs. 2 side pcs joined at the top with a center section about 18" wide. You will want a flange (1/2-3/4") of some sort at the overlap seams. There is a good drawing in the book/newsletters. You should have gotten this with your plans. I am looking at my LSA book and it's on page 48. I don't see anything wrong with the way you are doing it though, but I would suggest a flange of some sort at the seam to stiffen things up a bit. On the LSA, I made the center section in two pieces...the back half removeable so I can get to the backside of the panel easier...you WILL need to get in there from time to time...lol.

Collin

Comment

On my LSA, I first made the boot cowl out of the three pieces shown in the book. I then remade them, making the top piece cover from about halfway down on one side to halfway down on the other(still installing the angles on the top where the original 18" piece ended). Then I made two lower pieces. I bent an angle in the top of the lower pieces to stiffen the joint between the upper and lower overlap..

This allows me to remove the two lower side pieces completely without disturbing the windshield,making access to the rear of the instrument panel, front rudder pedals, brake cylinders, etc. much easier.

Comment

Originally posted by BTAZ View Post
          This allows me to remove the two lower side pieces completely without disturbing the windshield,making access to the rear of the instrument panel, front rudder pedals, brake cylinders, etc. much easier.
          This is my goal as well.
          Brooks Cone
          Southeast Michigan
          Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

Originally posted by Collin Campbell View Post
            Bob covers the construction of the boot cowl in the Bearhawk Book as well as the early newsletters. He recommends the boot cowl being constructed in 3 pcs. 2 side pcs joined at the top with a center section about 18" wide. You will want a flange (1/2-3/4") of some sort at the overlap seams. There is a good drawing in the book/newsletters. You should have gotten this with your plans. I am looking at my LSA book and it's on page 48. I don't see anything wrong with the way you are doing it though, but I would suggest a flange of some sort at the seam to stiffen things up a bit. On the LSA, I made the center section in two pieces...the back half removeable so I can get to the backside of the panel easier...you WILL need to get in there from time to time...lol.

Collin
            Collin, thanks for the reference, I had neglected to look at it when the question arose. Thanks for the information about the panel access. I will include that as well.
            Brooks Cone
            Southeast Michigan
            Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

Working...
            X