Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should this 8 be a 16?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should this 8 be a 16?

I assume the AD4 solid rivets on the flaps and ailerons are called out wherever the rib centerline intersects the spar, as implied by a larger black dot. Bob calls out 22 for the flaps (11 ribs, top and bottom?) but only 8 for the aileron (8 ribs top only?)...

So to simplify my question... Where exactly are these AD4 rivets used?
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.
    Mark
    Scratch building Patrol #275
    Hood River, OR

Not sure if this will be helpful, but on the 4-place plans the call-out is for 16 (8 top an 8 bottom.) I'm guessing that is a typo unless Bob was trying to save a few grams of useful load.

Comment

Away from home but almost sure 8 pls/2 loc
      Gerry
      Patrol #30

Comment

Thanks guys. Is that a 16 for the B model or A?

Sounds like 16 it is. Bob missing a call-out is unusual, but rivets on top only would require some intention that I would think warrants a note for clarity if it's that important. I'm thinking this is a good excuse to call him and check in on the ultralight!

Mark
        Hood River, OR

Comment

Mark,

My reading is eight rivets per aileron side, one at each rib and twenty-two per flap side, two at each rib. And for the ailerons the -4 rivet is the second rivet in from the edge, the first rivet is a -3. To show that he made the -4 rivet location a larger dot.

If you are calling Bob would you clarify for me also?

Thanks

Scott
          Scott Ahrens
          Bearhawk Patrol Plans Built

Comment

Bob says: 22 for the flap is two per rib, one on top & one on bottom for all ribs. 8 for the aileron is the same but only those ribs either side of a hinge.

He reminded me there are also some -4 rivets called out on the .032 gusset at the flap pushrod.

So there you go!

PS - ultralight wings are pretty far along, he's looking forward to moving on to the fuselage. He's not even going to start looking at the motor design until he's ready because electric components are constantly improving.
            Last edited by Chewie; 02-24-2019, 08:01 PM.
            Mark
            Hood River, OR

Comment

Bob must have changed that sometime after my plans (752 A-model). I just looked again to be sure and the call out was for all rib intersections top & bottom on the ailerons (16 places.) Guess I'll have to offset that weight gain somewhere else!

Comment

• Bcone1381
                Bcone1381 commented
                Editing a comment
                Use caution, This question was referenced to the Patrol plans, not the A model.

Thanks for that clarification Mark.
              Gerry
              Patrol #30

Comment

I used the same method as the flap drawing and use 16 rivets at the larger dots one at each rib flange.
                David Snyder
                P154

Comment

Working...
                X