Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cutting spars to length

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cutting spars to length

Guys, I am ready to rivet my first spar together. Before I do, does anyone have a suggestion on the best way to get a clean cut on the ends of the spars? I need to match cut the web to the shape of the attach plates and I also want a nice clean cut, square on the end too. Thanks!
    Barry Cole plans building serial #265 Patrol

I used the same patterns I used to make the attach plates and the router table. Takes about 10 seconds and its a perfect match....
    Dave Bottita The Desert Bearhawk
    Project Plans #1299
    N1208 reserved www.facebook.com/desertbearhawk/

Comment

Thanks Dave, sounds like a plan!

Comment

You will need to take a hacksaw or whatever and cut the vertical cut on the flange and then just clean it up with the router table….
        Dave Bottita The Desert Bearhawk
        Project Plans #1299
        N1208 reserved www.facebook.com/desertbearhawk/

Comment

Thanks again Dave!

Comment

For the square end I'm planning to use a non-ferrous metals blade in my miter saw. For the attach bracket ends I plan to clamp the brackets into place and use a trim bit in a router to match them up.
            Phil Schaefer
            Patrol #073
            Working on Spars

Comment

I marked it with a sharpie using the spar attach plate. I then used a dremel tool with a cutoff wheel to get within 1/16" of the line. I then put the spar attach plate back on and secured it. I the used a sanding wheel on the dremel to sand to th spar attach plate, Then cleaned it up with scotchbrite wheel.
              John Snapp (Started build in Denver, CO) Now KAWO -Arlington Washington Bearhawk Patrol - Plans #255 Scratch built wing and Quickbuild Fuselage as of 11/2021. Working on skinning the left wing! -Ribs : DONE -Spars: DONE, Left wing assembly's: DONE., Top skins : DONE YouTube Videos on my building of patrol :https://m.youtube.com/user/n3uw

Comment

Working...
              X