Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Patrol Support Frame Dimension

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Patrol Support Frame Dimension

So, I've been sitting on a set of Patrol plans for about 12 years. Retired a couple years ago and getting ready to build my shop this summer. I'm finally gonna' get serious about this. I know that I need to order a set of updated plans and the Patrol Book from Bob, but I was reviewing the old Patrol newsletters last night and came across an odd notation on the drawing of the support frame jig. The dimension of the support frame across the top agrees with the plans(31.66"), but then there's the notation, "Check drawing - length of support frames should be 31.59". Where did the .07" go?

Is there someone minding the R&B store while Bob is recovering?

Thanks!

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.
    Patrol #107
    LSA #005

I’d say it’s wiggle room so you can get parts in and out of the jig.
    Last edited by Chris In Milwaukee; 05-04-2019, 11:08 AM.
    Christopher Owens
    Bearhawk 4-Place Scratch Built, Plans 991
    Bearhawk Patrol Scratch Built, Plans P313
    Germantown, Wisconsin, USA

Comment

When reading a drawing, the draft lines have a thickness. The interpretation should be to the center of a draft line. I have not checked the numbers lately, but I recall there was a number like 32 inches between spars. (Read that as 32 inches to the center of the 032 spar) If you account for thickness of the 032 sheet and the capstrips:

31.66+5/16 =31.97
      Stan
      Austin Tx

Comment

The 31.66 dimension is clearly called on the plans, so it's not a matter of scaling the part or the thickness of a fine point Sharpie. I plan to build the jig to the 31.66 dimension. I'm just curious where 31.59 came from. Maybe a carry-over from the 4 place?
        Patrol #107
        LSA #005

Comment

I have plans p284. I think there are two errors in bob's patrol book. My book has the jig made with a number 6 3/16. This is incorrect. According to drawing 14 of the patrol drawings it should be 6 5/16.

Also the distance for my set says 1.04 The spacing should be 1.02 - which is the spacing of the cap strip rivet holes on a patrol. I think 1.04 is the spacing on a 4 place.
          Stan
          Austin Tx

Comment

If you are making up the hinges. I would take advantage of the control lugs that Mark Goldberg mentioned on todays forum post. He has them at a good price, and they are very time consuming to make.
            Stan
            Austin Tx

Comment

• Papa Foxtrot
              Papa Foxtrot commented
              Editing a comment
              Agree - those are a screaming deal at 5.50 a piece.

I checked the copy for serial number 284 and Bob has corrected the number to 31.66.
            Stan
            Austin Tx

Comment

• Papa Foxtrot
              Papa Foxtrot commented
              Editing a comment
              To be clear, my plans show 31.66. The 31.59 dimension is shown in the Patrol Newsletter from 2004. The Patrol Book superseded the newsletter.

Originally posted by sjt View Post
            I have plans p284. I think there are two errors in bob's patrol book. My book has the jig made with a number 6 3/16. This is incorrect. According to drawing 14 of the patrol drawings it should be 6 5/16.
            My sheet 14 calls out 6 3/16. I haven't scaled it tho'.
            Patrol #107
            LSA #005

Comment

I do not know when it was changed. My set probably dates from 2014-2015. It would seem that your book and your drawings are consistent. I still think the 1.04 number comes from the 4 place.

My book has your 31.59 number whited out and 31.66 is hand drawn in.
              Stan
              Austin Tx

Comment

Originally posted by sjt View Post
                My book has your 31.59 number whited out and 31.66 is hand drawn in.
                Thanks! That makes me feel better confirming it was an error. Thanks for the heads-up on the 1.04 spacing on the hinge mounts. Prob'ly saved me some grief.
                Patrol #107
                LSA #005

Comment

Working...
                X