Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

clearance holes for aileron cable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• clearance holes for aileron cable

Should there be an aileron cable clearance hole in the 0.025” center ribs? Sheet 3, in the upper right corner shows a note for a ½” clearance hole for .032 ribs. Why just .032 ribs? On the wing layout the cable appears to pass through ribs 6 through 10, which are 0.025”.

Mark
    Mark
    Scratch building Patrol #275
    Hood River, OR

Good catch, had not noticed that. I don't know. Hope someone helps us out.

Doug
    Scratch building Patrol #254

Comment

Mark, Doug, Good question. The answer to your question here is to note that the aileron cable goes through the wing at a slight angle (not parallel to the spar) The aileron cable starts out at the root of the wing in the position shown for the .032 ribs. On the plans, Bob shows a fairlead at rib #5, from there on to the aileron belcrank the cable slopes downward. If you note on page 3 of the plans, the .025 ribs have a different lightening hole at the rear. The lightening hole in the .032 ribs uses lightening hole "D" (drawn with dashed lines). The .025 ribs use the other lightening hole shown. On my Patrol, I had to modify slightly the lightening holes on the .025 ribs to provide cable clearance. (ribs 6 and 7 in particular) By the time the cable gets to ribs 8, 9 and 10 it clears the lightening hole fine.

Collin Campbell, Patrol N180PB N370CC (4-place)
      Bolivar, MO

Comment

Thanks for the clarification Collin. I am sure we could have figured it out when we got to that point but it sure is nice to have people going ahead of us so there are less surprises.

Doug
        Scratch building Patrol #254

Comment

Ahhh, I see. Thanks!
          Mark
          Mark
          Scratch building Patrol #275
          Hood River, OR

Comment

Working...
          X