Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spar Angles??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spar Angles??

Guys, I have my main spars done, finally. I am ready to start on the rear spars and flap and aileron spars. I have been loosing sleep over a problem I have, the shop I used to bend the spars could only go to 90 degrees. Does anybody have any suggestions to get that extra bend on these remaining spars? I want to get this done before starting on them.
    Barry Cole plans building serial #265 Patrol

You might need to check around to see if there is another shop who can do them. Check with HVAC companies or maybe ask around at your EAA chapter to see if anyone knows someone with a large brake.
    Eric Newton - Long Beach, MS
    Bearhawk Tailwheels and Builder's Manuals
    http://bhtailwheels.com

Comment

Thanks Eric, I will look around.

Comment

Clamp the spar web securely. Pad one wide side of a 2x4 with felt. Get ALOT of friends. Place padded side of 2x4 against flange. Press gently and in unison to bend the flange over. Maybe sandwich the flange between two boards for more stability. I have seen this process used to tune up spar flanges moving them only a few degrees. Not sure about 10 to 20 degrees. Do not use this process in conjunction with alcohol as an unsafe condition may result.
        Cheers
        Gerry
        Patrol #30

Comment

Roger that Gerry! I think I will pay the guys at the shop that have a break. I tried the 2x4 method sober and had issues. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Barry View Post
            I tried the 2x4 method sober and had issues..
            Well there's your problem - you need to try it after a 6-pack ;^)
            Eric Newton - Long Beach, MS
            Bearhawk Tailwheels and Builder's Manuals
            http://bhtailwheels.com

Comment

Barry, sent you a PM with a possible solution.
              John Massaro
              Plans Building LSA - 091
              Arizona

Comment

Thanks for the information John, I will let you know if I build the break and it and how it worked.

Comment

Working...
                X