Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Patrol #421 - Scratch Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Patrol #421 - Scratch Build

Hello all, My name is Drew and I have Patrol Plans #421. I am starting this thread so I have a place to ask questions and share information and progress with the group.

I would like to start this thread by asking a question of the group regarding laser cutting parts. I have been reviewing the plans and drawing parts up in Solidworks. This helps me to visualize assembly processes. I plan on cutting some of the 2024 parts on a CNC and have had a few items laser cut from 4130. I have read elsewhere (and Mark Goldberg advised me) of only using laser cut parts where the laser cut edge would be welded over.

I am not an expert and don't pretend to be one. This is actually something I have been curious about and have asked a few folks I know. It has been difficult to get an answer.

I have no intention of laser cutting any structural parts. So far they have been tabs and components to make the control sticks, torque tube and pedals. Its been many years, but I once took a materials science class and learned about carbon precipitation, pearlite and martinsite in carbon steels (and other topics). I understand that carbon can precipitate out in the thermal zone of the laser cut and that the rapid cooling causes embrittlement. By welding over the cut (assuming something like ER70S), you are using a filler rod with lower carbon content (and lower tensile strength), helping to dilute the carbon concentration and make the weld more ductile.

My thinking was that I would try using these laser cut parts in areas not seeing high loads where carbon embrittlement could play a dangerous role. I don't see any visual indication of a thermally effected zone along the edge of the laser cut (like I do when i use a plasma cutter), but I acknowledge that does not mean that there is no TEZ. I do have a small kiln and could bring these parts up to the transition temperature and stress relieve them before trying to use them. I have also considered over sizing them slightly and sanding away the outer margin to remove some of the heat stressed materials. In the case of brake cylinder tabs and control stick/linkage tabs, I will be welding most (but not all) edges/surfaces and would certainly be getting the whole part up to a solid red-orange glow with my gas torch. I am thinking (perhaps incorrectly) that this will cause the 4130 to normalize as it cools, thereby stress relieving the cut metal. If my logic is flawed, I would love to be pointed in the proper direction before I make too many parts. These are good practice parts if I decide not to use them in the end and I am fine with that.

If anyone has some knowledge to send my way, I do appreciate it.

Best Wishes and Friendly Skies....

Drew
    Patrol Plans #421
    Scratch Build
    Northern California

“When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return.”

Sounds caveman but I have gotten reacquainted with my hacksaw durind the build. A 10" Harbor Freight disc sander and a variety of files have built my detail parts. Good exercise plus a great feeling of accomplishment. Plus you know exactly what you have. In the grand scheme of things, a few hours behind a hacksaw doesn't amount to much.
    Gerry
    Patrol #30

Comment

I was thinking of starting with the brake pedals and flap drive assembly. I'll include a Solidworks screenshot of the linkage.

Here is a photo of the parts I have had made so far. I still have too fly cut them down to the correct thickness, as per plans. Any holes are under size and need to be drilled/reamed to size. I just had these made as potential practice parts. You will see some parts have bend lines etched on them.

Drew
      Patrol Plans #421
      Scratch Build
      Northern California

“When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return.”

Flap Drive Assembly 3D Render.jpg

IMG_2224.JPG

Comment

Drew,

The only concern with laser might me the HAZ (heat affected zone). I've been dinking around with CAD models to see what I could cut out and what I will have to hand build. Read up on HAZ. The problem is by the time you cut a part out, making in slightly larger so you can file/sand off the HAZ you've double your labor.

CNC milling would be a better option, leaving small tabs on the parts so you can "nip" them out and sand off the barb...but again it adds labor, but not as much as hand building all the little steel tabs etc. for the aircraft. One nice thing about leaving them in the sheet with the tabs is you know that you are getting back the steel you dropped off at the machine shop!

Andy
        1423B - Scratch

Comment

Working...
        X