Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Status Update with Pictures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Status Update with Pictures

Well, I am 340 hours into this project and I have been enjoying the process. I have at this point completed and primed all ribs and main spars. I am preparing to begin the rear spars and have ordered some of the wing components from Bearhawk. I expect to see those sometime in August. Here is the picture link: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/phpt0lgfm...cf-fPNMoMjkb3a

Keep building fellow builders!!!
    Barry Cole plans building serial #265 Patrol

Looking good man, you are knocking it out....
    Dave Bottita The Desert Bearhawk
    Project Plans #1299
    N1208 reserved www.facebook.com/desertbearhawk/

Comment

Very nice progress Barry. Your workmanship looks excellent. Keep going.
      Eric Newton - Long Beach, MS
      Bearhawk Tailwheels and Builder's Manuals
      http://bhtailwheels.com

Comment

Looks very good. Thanks for the pixs. Keep them coming.
        Doug
        Scratch building Patrol #254

Comment

Cool! I'll save your dropbox link - I assume you'll keep adding to it?
          Did your vice have any trouble reaching up to flange the larger holes? I'm kinda scratching my head at that one even with a 6" vice.
          Mark
          Scratch building Patrol #275
          Hood River, OR

Comment

Mark, yes I will be adding photos to my Dropbox, I will try to be more frequent about it. As far as the vise, I had no problem reaching the larger holes with mine. I would not want to use a vise that was any smaller. I think it worked well for me overall, saved me money over the rubber pad and press method and still had nice flanges in the end. I did end up with tired arms! I ended up using the Bobstick on the tip ribs rather that building a press jig for 2 ribs. Have fun and enjoy your build!

Comment

Keep up the good work Barry! You've passed me up in progress. Looks like you have a nice space to work in as well.
              Dan - Scratch building Patrol # 243.

Comment

Barry,
                I couldn't help but notice the siding brake being used in a couple of the pics. It was that very same make and model, with the large number of clamps built onto it, that I was thinking would maybe do the trick.After that, I could follow the use of the 2x4 with the saw kerf used to tweak the bend of the flange....at least I think that's what I was seeing.

And then later, it appears there's a large brake press being used.

Did the hand brake work, but not well enough? Am I looking at things incorrectly?

If you had to do it all over again, would you still go with the siding brake with it's auxiliary foot anchor?

Also liked your application of the pneumo gun on the C frame riveter.

Thanks for sharing, looks like really nice work.
                John Massaro
                Plans Building LSA - 091
                Arizona

Comment

John, I used the siding brake to adjust the angle after using the large industrial brake to make the initial 90 degree bend. The siding brake will not do the initial bend with the correct radius, do not even attempt it. There is simply not enough force applied using the siding brake. The reason I had to do it was because the shop's large brake was only capable of doing a 90 degree bend, which is not enough for the rear spars. I would advise in finding a good shop with a good brake that can precisely bend to the right angle and radius. It will save time and headache later. I had no choice but to do it this way because it was a three hour drive to the nearest "good brake". Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                  X