Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Patrol wing rib attach angle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Patrol wing rib attach angle

Is the center fastener in each spacer bar countersunk for a double flush fastener? Does this fastener just serve as a tack to hold the spacer bar in place until the rib attach angle is installed as per Eric's manual? So then the attach angle common to the spar is held in place by the remaining four fasteners (two common to the cap strips and two common to the spacer bars)? It's a hell of a time for me to be asking these questions as I getting ready to do this operation, but it seems a long distance without a fastener in that rib attach angle. Just want to make sure before making chips.The Bearhawk has seven fasteners at each rib station with six holding the attach angle to the spar. I'm doing the countersinking tomorrow so I want to sleep better tonight.
    Thanks
    Gerry
    Patrol #30 Wings

From the drawing I interpret that the center rivet should go thru everything in that location. Not sure if Bob changed the design of the spacer bars on the 4place because he only calls out 3 rivets on the spacer bar on my friends plans just like the patrol.
    Dan - Scratch building Patrol # 243.

Comment

That was one change that Bob made when he made the Patrol plans. On the Patrol plans Drawings 3 and 5, it shows all 5 rivets going through all attach angles and spacer bars. However, on the 4-Place Bearhawk plans, the main spar drawing #3 shows a double flush rivet at the center of the spacer bars and not holding the attach angles in place.
      Eric Newton - Long Beach, MS
      Bearhawk Tailwheels and Builder's Manuals
      http://bhtailwheels.com

Comment

OK all five it is. I'm glad I asked. The reason I said six fasteners on the Bearhawk is from the pictures in Eric's book. Thanks guy's.
        Gerry
        Patrol #30 wings

Comment

I have spent the last couple of days learning everything I can about the rib attach angles by searching the old site, here and every picture I can find. I want to confirm the orientation of the parts on the Patrol main spars.
          1. By using the 5/8 rib attach angle, the spar attach hole is moved away from the rib attach flange surface by .060 or so. Is this an issue later?
          2. Do all the rib attach angles attach to the flange side of the rib web, except at the tip? Sheet 3 doesn't make it clear to me.
          3 As the flow fence is now history, does the inboard rid that attached to that structure now revert to flange pointed outboard like the ribs on both sides? Reference sheet 2.
          Thanks
          Gerry
          Patrol #30 Wings

Comment

Check out this video, I show how I did it. I have a few videos on my channel you may find helpful. Also, subscribe to my FB page for current content. Facebook.com/desertbearhawk/

Dave Bottita The Desert Bearhawk
            Project Plans #1299
            N1208 reserved www.facebook.com/desertbearhawk/

Comment

Working...
            X