Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Aluminum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aluminum

Just ordered enough aluminum (and rivets) to finish the big middle and .020 small flap ribs for the patrol. Spruce (surprisingly) has the best prices for sheet aluminum at this time. I like Wick's, but they got pricey for some reason. Airparts-forget it. Way high for sheet. You can order any length from them you want, though. I tried to use a local company across the river in NJ that supplies to the Boeing plant not too far from here. No wonder airline travel is expensive. They were almost double what Spruce is charging. Additionally, I'm taking a welding refresher course that our EAA (240) Chapter is putting on for our members. I haven't done much gas welding for a few years so, like flying, a "welding review" can't be a bad thing. Just wish I got my act together before Dillsburg closed up. They are an hour or so from here. My Irish luck.
    Patrol Plans #156
    Working on wing ribs and spars
    West Chester, PA

Originally posted by eh009us View Post
    Just ordered enough aluminum (and rivets) to finish the big middle and .020 small flap ribs for the patrol. Spruce (surprisingly) has the best prices for sheet aluminum at this time. I like Wick's, but they got pricey for some reason. Airparts-forget it. Way high for sheet. You can order any length from them you want, though. I tried to use a local company across the river in NJ that supplies to the Boeing plant not too far from here. No wonder airline travel is expensive. They were almost double what Spruce is charging. Additionally, I'm taking a welding refresher course that our EAA (240) Chapter is putting on for our members. I haven't done much gas welding for a few years so, like flying, a "welding review" can't be a bad thing. Just wish I got my act together before Dillsburg closed up. They are an hour or so from here. My Irish luck.
    I also found spruce was the best price. ordered 4x12 sheets rolled and they came undamaged. I made a mistake and did not order enough. I am also building a patrol. How much did you order of each thickness.
    John Snapp (Started build in Denver, CO) Now KAWO -Arlington Washington Bearhawk Patrol - Plans #255 Scratch built wing and Quickbuild Fuselage as of 11/2021. Working on skinning the left wing! -Ribs : DONE -Spars: DONE, Left wing assembly's: DONE., Top skins : DONE YouTube Videos on my building of patrol :https://m.youtube.com/user/n3uw

Comment

I think Eric's builder's manual layout for the ribs and skins is a good guideline for both models. I've had a few false starts and wouldn't want to steer you wrong with a materials list since I started building again with some of what I had left over.
      Patrol Plans #156
      West Chester, PA

Comment

Glad to see you back at it, Ed.

Comment

Look what just showed up ! Gonna be busy next week !
          You do not have permission to view this gallery.
          This gallery has 1 photos.
          Patrol Plans #156
          West Chester, PA

Comment

Working...
          X