Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Patrol skin between ribs 1 & 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Patrol skin between ribs 1 & 2

What covers the Patrol's flap pocket between ribs 1 and 2?

(On the patrol, the flap begins at the root rib.)

The patrol book page 21 says a single piece of .032 is used between ribs 1 and 2, from the back of the rear spar around the nose to the back of the rear spar. On my wing this measures right at 96" which would be delightfully convenient. But that would leave off the necessary overhang to create the flap pocket, and surface for the skin stiffeners to attach to.
    Mark
    Scratch building Patrol #275
    Hood River, OR

I'm not out in the shop right now, but I'm quite sure the .032 extends all the way until the skins termination.

Screen Shot 2022-09-15 at 7.13.14 AM.png
    Brooks Cone
    Southeast Michigan
    Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

Thanks Brooks. I've been trying to reconcile Book pg 21 with the sheet in the plans you show. I think what you're saying is your .032 section extends as a single piece beyond the rear spar? Then my 8' remnant will not work unless I separate out top and bottom skins like the majority of the wing.

If you get a chance, would you mind getting a measurement of your skin length and confirm it's a single piece all around?

Thanks for the help!
      Mark
      Hood River, OR

Comment

• Bcone1381
        Bcone1381 commented
        Editing a comment
        It's one piece. Its assembled exactly like the drawing show with the extension beyond the rear spar on top and bottom to form the cove. The piece measures 110.5 inches long.

• Chewie
        Chewie commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Brooks. I trust the plans more than the book. Odd that your total length is that long, I only get about 100 inches when I measure.

It was pointed out by N3UW that you should buy 2024 in 12 foot lengths and split 6 foot for the 025 and the 020

1.jpg

The 020 is different then the 032

2.jpg

Stan
      Austin Tx

Comment

Thanks Stan. I have the rest of the wing sections sorted out, it's just the .032 strip that I'm wondering about. I think when I cut my flap spars I assumed the .032 was 2-pc just like every other section and didn't save the remnant at full length. Oops.
        Mark
        Hood River, OR

Comment

Working...
        X