Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wing tip rib

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wing tip rib

I just noticed something that does not look right. These pictures are off of Bearhawk's website and show the QB wings. The tip rib appears to stop at the rear spar, instead of being full length, if you blow them up.
    Explanation?

Doug
    Attached Files
    Scratch building Patrol #254

Just learning the photo thing.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

The quickbuild wings do not use a one piece tip rib. They are 3 separate ribs, nose center and back. At least on the 4 place Bearhawk...this is the case.

Comment

Thanks, wonder why?

Doug

Comment

The kits use hydroformed ribs, so I assume it makes more sense from a production standpoint (less money in dies, fewer parts, etc.). Those things don't matter when you're scratchbuilding.

Comment

Also, I remember someone saying that the quickbuilt wings were easier to crate and ship without the one piece tip rib.

Collin Campbell, Patrol N180PB
            Bolivar, MO

Comment

That makes sense. Thanks

Doug

Comment

During your scratch build, be sure and let that outermost skin hang past the tip rib flange an extra .25 to .5. The qb skin is cut nearly flush with the rib flange and makes the wingtip installation tricky. It would be nice to have room to put the tips inside the skin or use hinges like this: www.rvplane.com/pdf/WingtipHinges.pdf
                Last edited by Matt K.; 10-16-2014, 07:52 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the heads up.

Doug

Comment

Working...
                  X