Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Patrol Wing Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Patrol Wing Questions

I see the .032 pieces between ribs 9 and 10 on the blueprint (circled in attached photo), but I haven't noticed them installed on any of the wing photos I've seen of quickbuild kits. Perhaps the pictures I have found just aren't the right angle, or perhaps this is a difference between the bearhawk and the patrol? I also don't see these pieces in the avipro wing manual or the Eric Newton Bulders Manual (again perhaps a difference between the Patrol and the Bearhawk wing.) Can anyone shed light on the purpose of these pieces?

Also I gather the latest factory wings have additional skin stiffeners aft of the main spar. My plans (Jan 2023) call for one additional stiffener in front of the main spar. Is there an advisory for the additional stiffeners?

Jason

Patrol Plans: P491
    Attached Files

I believe those parts were installed to provide a mounting point for a aerodynamic aid. This device was later scraped as well as rhe mounting hardware.

Comment

Forward stiffener: http://bearhawksafety.com/Patrol/february2020.html

I'm not aware of any stiffeners aft of the main spar other than the fuel bay stiffeners which run fore-aft.
      Mark
      Scratch building Patrol #275
      Hood River, OR

Comment

• Fly Alaska
        Fly Alaska commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by Mark Goldberg View Post
        FYI - Bob has had us do a running change on the upper wing skin at the kit factory. The same kind of channel that runs span wise that Bob had us place in front of the main spar - we are now placing two channels running span wise aft of the main spar. At about 10 & 20 inches aft of the main spar. According to Bob - there are no structural issues as it was. Just a desire to clean up the airflow a little and theoretically maybe make another MPH or two. It does stiffen up that upper skin. Mark
        Here is the reference to the additional skin stiffeners... hopefully the quote function works here...

Those pieces are for mounting the stall fences. Not mandatory but can in theory improve performance. The quick build kits now come with skin stiffeners in the wings. These are not structural in any way but help to hold the airfoil shape and made for a better looking wing when complete.

Comment

Working...
      X