Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seaplane version gross weight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seaplane version gross weight

Is there an increase in the Patrol gross weight if built with the modifications for the floats? The seaplane version.
    Scott Ahrens
    Bearhawk Patrol Plans Built

I assume you are asking about the spec for max allowable gross weight due to float modifications to the fuselage tubing? I would think not, but i would be interested in hearing the answer from Mark or Bob

Comment

Isn't there a 5% increase in gross weight for any airplane, only when it is on floats.

Comment

I recommend you call Bob or Mark. The Four Place has been documented with an increase MGTOW form 2500 to 2700 with floats and I believe Bob approves something similar (a 200 lb. increase that is) for the Patrol.

Brooks Cone
        Southeast Michigan
        Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

As I understand it the 4 place on wheels has a MGTOW of 2700 but must land at 2500. That is quite a bit of fuel to burn off. When on floats takeoff and landing can be at 2700. I suspect this has to do with float fitting attach points location and load distribution than any structural or material changes. Certainly a question for Bob if it is an issue.

Comment

I was in touch with Bob a short while ago about increasing to 2200#. My Patrol will be on amphibs this spring. Blessings were given on the increase for standard category only, not utility. I had to look that up. The root wing skins are .032 as the plans show. All other skins are .025 except for the outer two wraps. I have doors/windows both sides and the airframe was built with the mods at the lower sides stations B to D.
            Not sure south of the border, but there is a generalized rule of the mentioned increase of 5% rule in Canada. It was explained to me as being a stronger gear attachment allowing the increase over wheels.

Comment

Good info...

Steve - what amphibs are you planning on?

Cheers

Comment

Rebuilt damaged set of Wip 2100A’s.
                You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                This gallery has 1 photos.
                Last edited by Steve W; 02-22-2023, 01:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X