Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Flap cable fairleads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flap cable fairleads

Hi everyone. I had a question I was hoping someone may be able to assist with please? I'm a newbee with the Patrol so please forgive my terminology!
    I'm looking at purchasing a flying Patrol that was assembled as a quick build kit, and I noticed that the flap cables that exit the wing root area into the cabin, pass through 2 fairleads that are offset
    before feeding through a pulley and down behind the aft baggage compartment. Both of these cables are hard pressed against the airframe and rub on the tubes between these two fairleads in any flap position setting. Im also led to beleive the owner may have instaled larger pulleys in the aft upper baggage area. Is this typical and if not, how do you adjust this clearance from the fuesalge tubes? Cheers

Where does it rub?

My flap cable does not touch any fuselage tube. Yours should not as well. The pulley size called out at position "N" is a MS24566-3B (aka AN210-3A) phenolic pulley with a 2 inches diameter measured in the groove of the pulley where the cable rides. If it is larger then I can see where the flap cable (as it approaches the pulley from the baggage compartment towards the flap arm through the two fairleads that guides the cable) will rub on the T10 tube which it passes over between "M" and "N".

Hopefully these images from the plans help. The first pulley is welded at the top of the vertical "N-D" tube. It passes through 2 Fairleads, one is at "M" going to a pulley at "L".

Screen Shot 2021-05-19 at 7.54.46 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-19 at 7.55.47 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-19 at 7.54.13 AM.png
    Attached Files
    Brooks Cone
    Southeast Michigan
    Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

• Bcone1381
      Bcone1381 commented
      Editing a comment
      It is possible that the drilling of the flap torque tube positioned the flap arm so that the cable rubbed on the spar, and a larger pulley was installed to prevent or help that issue (and caused the flap cable contact on the fuselage tube)? You want the cable to pass at the point where it has maximum room I think..others might chim in....maybe we can discuss minimum space between two drilled holes and then the re-drilling of the flap arms to obtain a normal pulley and no rubbing.

Thanks for the reply. I’m new to the Patrol and just inspecting a flying example of a quick build I’m considering purchasing where I noted the flap cables rubbing. They are rubbing between the fairleads between points L and M. I read in another thread that if the pulley housed inside the wing route area is the incorrect size, it may effect this cables geometry aft? Also I noted the pulleys in the upper after baggage compartment don’t appear to be phenolic so I’m not sure if these are standard either? It’s a rough aircraft but I’m looking for a project to completely strip down and re cover - paint etc . Hopefully you can see the picture where it’s contacting? Same on both flap cables for all flap position. 70C95EFE-E1C7-4A4F-A3B7-76C2DE0B16F2.jpeg

Comment

This is how that pulley was installed on my fuselage....its fuselage #90 I think, purchased in 2017. This photo of the right pulley at station "F-L" is taken facing towards the firewall.
      Screen Shot 2021-05-20 at 7.11.30 AM.png
      This is the next pulley ahead of the two fairleads.
      Screen Shot 2021-05-20 at 7.00.33 AM.png
      Brooks Cone
      Southeast Michigan
      Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

To me it looks like forward fairlead is welded just a little too far towards the outside of the fuselage. Your fairlead sits right on top of the tubing where ours is sitting slightly towards the inside of the fuselage. Looking at the location of the weld of the fairlead to the tube seems to confirms this. The weld on ours looks closer to the bottom of the fairlead and yours is more on the side. Our flap cable comes close to the tube but never contacts it. I would look to relocate the fairlead just towards the inside to where the cable will clear the tube.

IMG_9173.PNG

Comment

Working...
        X