Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Windshield attachment at the back sides.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windshield attachment at the back sides.

A preliminary fit of my windscreen brings up some potential issues. The sides of the windshield seem to slip in fairly well under the aluminum strip, outside the steel tubing and fuel lines. However, it’s a tight fit with the fuel tubing occupying that space too. Any tips for access to fasteners, type of nuts, and keeping bolt ends from chafing the fuel lines?

Pat;

I did not have problems with space here getting fule lines and wiring run. Consider fabricating your side windows and fit them while you are figuring this out. This is how I did it. (btw, I'm away from the shop & wish I had better photos.)

I was instructed to place the windshield outside of the side former. That might give you more space.

The aft side edge of the windshield got sandwiched between the former and a trim piece about 1-2" wide. Pan head machine screws thread into nutplates to secure the windshield to the airframe between the trim and the former. The top nutplate is riveted to a fuselage tab. (red arrows in third photo.) others are riveted to the former.

IMG_3274.pngIMG_4741.pngScreen Shot 2023-05-10 at 6.19.06 PM.png

The L&R side windows interface with this former too. When "MY" (I emphasize MY) side window closes, it's trim overlaps and rests on the former's aft edge while MY windshield rests on the former's front edge. My fit was outstanding without these two overlapping the former but not overlapping each other like that. Overlapping the side window over the windshield aft edge was not a good fit for MY airframe. The factory placement of the side window hinges (the small tubes welded to the airframe and the window side window frame) determined this fit. Yours may very from mine.

These shots try to dipict how they dont overlap each other. (the side window has brown craft paper) . It fits real nice behind the edge of the windshield. In the second photo the red arrow head rests on the former, the black box rests on the trim piece and the top machine screw is threaded into the airframes' nut plate. All other trim screws fit into nut plates riveted to the former.

Screen Shot 2023-05-10 at 6.16.46 PM.pngScreen Shot 2023-05-10 at 6.13.30 PM.png
    Here are photos of other patrols I took at OSH which did not work for my application.

Screen Shot 2023-05-10 at 6.47.39 PM.pngScreen Shot 2023-05-10 at 6.46.54 PM.png
    Last edited by Bcone1381; 05-10-2023, 07:02 PM. Reason: speling
    Brooks Cone
    Southeast Michigan
    Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

Thanks. Mine is planned exactly as in the blue plane. Side windows done. I really appreciate the detailed points of discussion

Comment

Working...
      X