Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse

Guidelines for this Section

Please post thoughtfully in this section. Create/maintain one thread per mishap. Focus the discussion on the event, and learning from it, rather than on the individuals. Keep in mind that any damaged Bearhawk may represent many years of lost work, many thousands of lost dollars, injury, or worse. Create posts that will enhance safety of the Bearhawk fleet and educate other Bearhawk operators. It is not always easy for someone to come forward after a mishap, be tactful and don't make someone regret admitting a mistake.
See more
See less

2022 N1908A Kalispell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Frank View Post
    I hadn't seen LSA maneuvering speed of 75mph published before. And the accident aircraft I think was cruising at 132mph ground speed, winds were light.​
    One source. We can see from the following video that the maneuvering speed is 75 mph (@ 1320 or 1500 lbs?) and max structural cruise is 125 mph. Vne is 140. We don't know what the exact winds were at 5000 ft, but if we assume zero then his IAS was roughly 120 mph. Nothing troubling there.

If I owned a [properly-built] BH LSA and had a nervous potential passenger that read the report, I would explain it in terms they would immediately understand. Imagine they are driving down the freeway doing the usual 70-80 mph. They are way above the car's safe maneuvering speed. If the driver suddenly turned the steering wheel sharply to the right the car would proceed into a deadly high-speed roll with car parts (and potentially occupants) flying off of the vehicle until it came to rest.

This video shows the devastating effects of what happens when you don't wear your seat belts and your vehicle leaves the motorway. This is a prime example ho...

Attached Files
    Last edited by Stefano; 04-20-2024, 03:34 PM.

Comment

Mr Angle had used a MIG welder to weld the airframe tube members, and was aware of the tradeoffs, so used thicker gauge tubing. He was generally risk-averse, but often joked after flights that, “the welds haven’t failed!”. https://data.ntsb.gov/Docket/Documen...=r_MOR-Rel.pdf

Wow! Sure hope he shared that joke with the passenger before the flight.

Comment

Working...
      X