Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

new member-

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new member-

Hello All-
    My name is Tim- I live in central florida. I am about to order plans for the 4 seater bearhawk.
    I am thinking of starting with the wing first (and maybe doing a VR cnc tube kit later )
    I have to clean and reorganize my shop - and finnish the last project (cummins powered Ford F-350)
    If I start with the wing first- I am considering what I will need for a wing spar building table-
    I can make it out of square steel tubing- 1 inch or 1+1/4 or 1+1/2 or a combination-
    or I can do the torsion box wood table-
    What rough dimentions am I looking at for length and width-
    and are there rough plans for these tables somewhere like the RV forum ???? or EAA ?

Thanks for you help ahead of time...... looking forward to getting started..... been wanting to build for 20 years..... I feel like only now I have all the skills I need accumulated !

Tim

Here is a link to a table called "The EAA Standardized Work Table". It has a top surface of 24"x60". Building three of these and connecting them end to end seems to be the way some have gone. I am not yet to building my spars, but I will probably go that route.

Brooks Cone
    Southeast Michigan
    Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

Welcome
      If you want to go steel for your table, a couple of pixs of what I did are in this thread.
      Okay, I am new to all this so excuse my ignorance... But why do most pictures I look at of someone laying out the fuselage on a table have a white top to the

Doug
      Scratch building Patrol #254

Comment

Hi Doug- those tables look like a million bucks ! The tubing look like it could be 2 inch ? how thick a wall did you use ?
        I have a good scrap place near me but what they have in even 1+1/2 would be pretty heavy (at least .150 for 1+1/2)
        I would have to shop at alro plus to get thinner-
        I figured if I built 2 of them that were 5 by 9 each - each one would be about 150$ in materials (maybe 200 if I put some cross braces in like you did-)
        Yours looks very sturdy !
        Do you think as high as wood is now - that steel would be just a cheap ? ( and no warping on a rainy day)
        also- is the frame for the "bridge" permanently welded in or bolted ? It looks welded -since you have a triangular gusset - or is there a bolted joint exactly in the center of the bridge section ? ( im thinking there has to be)

Tim
        Last edited by fairchild; 03-23-2015, 12:59 PM.

Comment

I would do it a little different. Get two 16' or 18' LSL's from the lumber store and a 4x8 sheet of 3/4 mdf. Rip the mdf down the middle length wise. Build yourself a 2'x16' table to build your spars and ribs on. When your ready to build your fuselage build some new legs, buy another LSL and 2 more sheets of MDF and you have your fuselage table.

Last edited by X'N; 03-23-2015, 01:22 PM.
          Dan - Scratch building Patrol # 243.

Comment

Sorry XN- what is an "LSL" ????? Long Straight Lumber ??????? we don't seem to have any of that here anymore !!!!!!!!!!
            I swear all of the good quality lumber is going to china to build someone's palace !

Comment

Tim
              Yes the tubing is 2" and 1.5". Maybe overkill but I wanted it heavy enough to stay in place once I got it flat and level. When I start the fuselage I may have to climb on it and it will stay in place.
              The "bridge" is bolted in. 4 bolts in each gusset.
              Humidity in high enough in the northwest anything made out of wood will not stay straight.

Doug

Comment

yes that would be heavy- but heavy is not a bad thing. I built a wood working table out of all 2x6 lumber. with a top mad of 2x4 turned on edge like a butcher block. Everyone laughed
                because I was building it sooo heavy. It was primarily for violinmaking where you do lots of planning, gouging and the like- didn't want the table to wiggle when I push on the work.
                I think for the wing spar it wouldn't have to be too wide-
                How did you control your warping as you welded????? Tiny tacks until it was all together ? I don't think my floor is flat enough to use the floor as a "flat" to build on......
                I guess you would want it wide enough that you could roll it over without it coming off the tabletop.... 30 inches maybe ?
                Tim

Comment

LSL = Laminated Strand Lumber. They're engineered building products that usually look like OSB sheets laminated together or some similar structure. Guaranteed to be straight and super strong. They'd certainly make for a strong table support, that's for sure!
                  Christopher Owens
                  Bearhawk 4-Place Scratch Built, Plans 991
                  Bearhawk Patrol Scratch Built, Plans P313
                  Germantown, Wisconsin, USA

Comment

Originally posted by fairchild View Post
                    How did you control your warping as you welded????? Tiny tacks until it was all together ? I don't think my floor is flat enough to use the floor as a "flat" to build on......
                    I guess you would want it wide enough that you could roll it over without it coming off the tabletop.... 30 inches maybe ?
                    Tim
                    Tack the whole thing together including the diagonals then skip around from cluster to cluster just like you will do you airframe. I have leveling feet to make up for the floor. I will use the same table for everything so it is 48" wide.

Doug

Comment

Thanks Chris and Doug- I am going to lowes in a few minuites I will as about LSL. I guessed that you would weld all around gradualy ........... Kevin Kimball mentioned that there was
                      a specific way you could weld in a certain pattern from back to front in a spiral pattern to all most nullify welding warp. If I get by there again I will ask his welder to explain that a little more spcificly ! he just mentioned that in passing as he was explaining something else......

Tim

Comment

Working...
                      X