Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

David in Chandler AZ - Scratch build 4p Bearhawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• David in Chandler AZ - Scratch build 4p Bearhawk

Hello,

I like the idea of this community of builders. My experience with other aviators has been overwhelming positive. The instant acceptance, the high level of trust and companionship afforded to each other in the aviation community is exceptional. I'm happy to find such an avid community for the Bearhawk series of aircraft.

I've wanted an experimental aircraft since I was a young man. I got tired of waiting for the convergence of; time, money, flight mission and experimental design about ten years ago and bought a couple of certificated aircraft. These airplanes scratched the "itch" pretty good but the cost of ownership and demands of raising a family have converted those birds to a fond memory and a few pictures. I should have taken more pictures.

The completion of college (and the tuition payments) for last of three kids is within sight now, so I've unearthed the old "bucket" list. Some of the items on the list are illegible now, but traveling to remote hideaways, exploring the north western U.S and especially Alaska, is still something I want to do. The Bearhawk seems perfect for this.

I can hardly hold back from ordering aluminum and steel at this point. Instead, I'm studying the plans and working on understanding as many aspects of construction as possible. Joining this forum is part of this process.

I want to scratch build this aircraft as much as possible - partly for cost control, and mostly for personal pride. I like to build things.

By the way, Bob's wisdom of not providing bills of materials to order from is amazing. Having to really study the drawings just to measure materials is exactly what a scratch builder needs to do. This process is forcing me, in a pleasurable way, to get very familiar with each part and assembly. It's helping with other areas too; drawing interpretation, measuring, scaling, finding my old triangular scales. Long dormant engineering skills are now like out of shape muscles, I know a little pain will lead to a lot of gain, and this exercise is fun!

David Pendleton
    Chandler AZ

Hi David, welcome to the group. I think you'll find many knowledgeable people on this forum.

I started my build 2.5 years ago and will hopefully be finishing up my wings in a month or two. I like the Bearhawk in that you can scratch build, buy a few things, buy a lot of things, or get the full blown kit.

Good luck on your project!

Comment

Hey David!

Welcome! You're very correct about the caliber of people in the Bearhawk community. It's pretty cool!

I learned to fly at the Chandler Airport a long time ago. I'm on the west side over in Litchfield Park now.

KCHD has two Bearhawks. Have you been over to see them yet?
      Bobby Stokes
      4-Place Kit Builder
      Queen Creek, AZ
      http://azbearhawk.com

Comment

Originally posted by DavidP View Post

I can hardly hold back from ordering aluminum and steel at this point. Instead, I'm studying the plans and working on understanding as many aspects of construction as possible. Joining this forum is part of this process.
        Dave,

I identify with your post...your ambitions, the place in life, etc.

The truth on the quoted part of your post, is that, with rare exception (like where a builder has years of experience building skills by working in a professional shop) none of us were able to study enough to feel like had enough good understanding to start this project. But We understood the first few steps, and had a healthy portion of ambition and excitement that we chose embrace. Read and study all you want, but keep one eye fully focused on the excitement that will encourage you to make the jump. Its okay to Maybe even keep the other half closed to the unknown that can stop you from diving in.

Brooks Cone
        Patrol #303
        Slowly Scratch building
        Last edited by Bcone1381; 07-03-2015, 09:24 AM.
        Brooks Cone
        Southeast Michigan
        Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

David, Im in Las Vegas, so Im close...I have a bunch of rib forms you can have if you like...they are MDF and heavy. Some of them have been modified for whatever purpose I needed them for but for the most part they are good to go. They are yours if you want them...
          Dave Bottita The Desert Bearhawk
          Project Plans #1299
          N1208 reserved www.facebook.com/desertbearhawk/

Comment

Buy the rib and spar kit.
            Gerry
            Patrol #30 Wings

Comment

1. "KCHD has two Bearhawks. Have you been over to see them yet?" - not yet but I'll look for them.
              2. "...bunch of rib forms you can have if you like..." David - thank you very much for the offer. It is very generous. I'm just about to start CNC cutting the MDF form blocks. It would be a lot easier to use yours, but part of this exercise is to learn or improve skills. Currently, I'm getting much better with Rhino CAD and will be creating CAM files for a ShopBot in a few days.
              3. "Buy the rib and spar kit" - Currently I'm only willing to buy things I can't manufacture myself. When I become impatient with the pace of build, then I'll consider "buying some time".

I met Carl Peterson this weekend in Goodyear this weekend. He was very knowledgeable, answered numerous newbie BH questions. We had a great time ending with a visit to "Ed's" BH at Glendale airport. Thanks Carl.

Comment

David,

At KCHD Bearhawk's roost J3, R7. e-mail me, I will be around this weekend.
                Kevin D

Comment

Working...
                X