Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Plans build model 5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plans build model 5

Hi everyone. I'm brand new here. I sent my check for the plans early last week, and I'm anxiously waiting for them to get here. I used to own a turbo twin Comanche. I loved it but hated all the money I had to fork out each month to keep it flying. There were several $5K months. After that, I decided to go experimental.
    I know that plans built is not for everyone. It took me a while to get to the Bearhawk. Initially, I thought I wanted a really fast plane but realized the older I got I wanted to slow down a bit and enjoy the journey. The model 5 just happened to be the plane that made the most sense.
    We'll see how things go. I already have ideas on how to help speed up the build to keep it moving in the right direction. I've allotted 5 years to complete it.
    I'm banking on the sage advice here.
    Any lessons learned and advice (except suggesting I order a kit) would be greatly appreciated.
    I'm in Maine.

Welcome to the forum!

I am working on a plans build myself, I had looked at a lot of other aircraft but when the 5' was announced I knew exactly what I wanted to build. I have allotted 10 years for my build and will be pleasantly surprised if I finish it quicker. I am working full time on one job, part-time on another job and have a family hence my objective of 10 years...
    Honestly, a kit would be easier and faster but I enjoy learning new skills and a flying aircraft is just the end goal. In any journey, the most enjoyable moments are not the end result, it is often the journey itself. A favorite quote of mine is by author G. K. Chesterton: β€œAn adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered.”​

I keep reminding myself of this as the recent discovery that MDF will compress when forming flanges if it has not been treated with wood hardener is fresh in my mind... It is just another part of the journey.

Please post a build log once you start, I have learned many things from those that have and am attempting to return in kind.
    Bill Duncan
    Troy, Idaho
    Bearhawk Five Scratchbuild - Plans #5053
    N53BD - reserved
    Builders-Log

Comment

• alitarraf
      alitarraf commented
      Editing a comment
      Bill we are 11 hours by car. I am in Medford Oregon. It would be nice to get together after building our planes 5 to 10 years down the road...? i will follow your build progress, so please keep posting.

Looking forward to see your build. Also doing a plan built 4 or 5 seater.

Comment

Working...
    X