Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Welding gas supplier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welding gas supplier

I overlooked this at first, but they are open weekends and their prices are about half or less of other distributors. Out here we call them the National Aircraft Parts Association.

napa.jpg
    Mark
    Scratch building Patrol #275
    Hood River, OR

Hi Mark,
    Does NAPA simply exchange any cylinders you bring in, large and small? Or do they just swap the smaller (20 & 40 cu ft Oxygen/ "B" & "MC" Acetylene) cylinders? What size are you using and how much for a full exchange? I used to own an Acetylene plant and a distributorship. I'm sure glad I got out before the internet! This stuff still interests the heck out of me!

Bill

Comment

Bill,

Yes, it was a simple exchange. I have Oxygen 80 and Acet 3 bottles. Napa's exchange price for oxy was $7.77 and Acet was $35. At the machine shop a few blocks further down Oxy is more like $25 and Acet around $70 for the same sizes! Weird industry...
      Mark
      Scratch building Patrol #275
      Hood River, OR

Comment

• Bdflies
        Bdflies commented
        Editing a comment
        Those prices are excellent indeed! You've found a good supplier. I'd suggest that you'll find their prices are fair for the other goods they sell.
        "Wierd industry"? Oh, over a few beers, I could tell ya stories! But then, all industries have stories.

Bill

• Chewie
        Chewie commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, I hope that "acetylene" is legit!
        I wouldn't say their other prices are cheap, maybe they just scored with a gas supplier.

I wouldn’t have any concerns about the gases. Acetylene cylinders are heavy for their size because they’re filled with porous materials and saturated with acetone. Filling such is a long slow process, whereby the Acetylene gas is dissolved into the acetone. No other fuel gas could be in there. Besides, Acetylene is the only fuel gas that welds steel properly, because of its 'Triple Bond' nature. Don’t ask me to explain that part...I know the business and processes, not the chemistry.

Those are good prices Mark! I’d be surprised if anyone is doing much better.

Bill
      Last edited by Bdflies; 01-10-2019, 04:48 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X