Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mobile Fab Table

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mobile Fab Table

I wanted a small, mobile, fab table that could be configured in many different arraignments to suit whatever is being built on my project at the time. What I came up with is a 2'x4' table with an open front for sitting while welding small parts. The casters all swivel 360 and fully lock, which makes the table very easy to move, and stay put when needed. The front two casters have a set screw to quickly adjust elevation for an out of level floor. There is receiver tubing welded at various locations around the table perimeter, and tool mounts which allow the belt sander, vice, chop saw, and band saw to be plugged in wherever needed. Set screws secure the tools into the receiver mounts, and removes any play. The idea is to bring the tools to wherever you are working, rather than walking back and forth during fabrication. It has been a fun project to work on while waiting for my LSA tubing kit. I still have several additional features to add. Like many of you, I have a limited amount of space to work with, and I need be able to configure the floor space as needed.

LSA140
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 8 photos.
    Last edited by lsa140; 01-24-2016, 01:40 AM.

That looks really nice. Def. helps to have things on wheels in a smaller space. That Dewalt grinder/sander is pretty slick.....never seen that before.

Comment

That is a standard dewalt 6" 5/8hp bench grinder with a 2"x36" multitool belt grinder attachment. I have been really impressed with it so far. Belt changes take a few seconds. I would want more power and belt length for heavier work, but it works well for aircraft use.

Comment

I like it, especially the band saw setup.
        How much are the plans?

Comment

The band saw works well for cutting out smaller pieces and takes up very little space. The base plate for the band saw is 1/4" and has enough strength to hold the saw firm. The tubing is 2"x2"x1/8" wall. The receiver tube is a standard 1/4" wall seamless you can get from metal suppliers. The set bolts are 7/16" x 1".

The table top is 1/4". The perimeter frame is 2.5"x2.5"x1/4"" angle. The outside lip of the angle and table top sandwich together to form a 1/2" thick edge. The legs/base are 2"x2"x1/8" square tube. The supports under the table top that span between the angle are 2.5"x3/16" flat bar. Keep the welds minimal in areas that will warp the flatness of the top. I fully welded the frame and very lightly stitch welded the top to it.

Sections of receiver tube are welded to the angle iron table top frame wherever it makes sense for your setup.

There are a lot of ways you could approach the design, this just made sense to me and used materials than were largely on hand.

This gallery has 1 photos.
          Last edited by lsa140; 01-19-2016, 05:13 AM.

Comment

I added a fold away work rest to the Multitool bench grinder attachment this evening. The pivot pin slides out to allow quick belt changes. It works well to cut out a part on the bandsaw, grind to shape on the work rest, and rotate the rest down for a quick edge dressing.
            This gallery has 5 photos.
            Last edited by lsa140; 01-30-2016, 01:33 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X