Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jig Saw for rough cutting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jig Saw for rough cutting?

(Please point to the post if this has already been discussed)

I'm considering using a jig saw for rough cutting the aluminum. Hand shears are tiring, pneumatic shears are expensive and I already own a jig saw. There might be an issue with scratching the aluminum that will have to be dealt with. Also, it seems like I've heard there's an issue with the blade pulling on the material. Has anyone tried this? And if so, how did it go? Any other comments?

Thanks,

I can't imagine it would be a problem. You'll probably want to make sure that you've either got some masking tape or similar on the foot of the jigsaw, or on the metal surface so you don't scratch it. The thin stuff might get grabby, like you said. You'll need a firm grip or cut it on a sacrificial surface so it doesn't flop around so much. With the sacrificial surface, you might try a down-cutting blade so your saw cuts on the down stroke.

Just a couple of things that crossed my mind.

Otherwise, an electric shear is around $30, if memory serves, at Harbor Freight. It's heavier than an air shear, but makes quick work of the cutting.
    Christopher Owens
    Bearhawk 4-Place Scratch Built, Plans 991
    Bearhawk Patrol Scratch Built, Plans P313
    Germantown, Wisconsin, USA

Comment

I always use either a cheap electric shear ( http://m.harborfreight.com/18-gauge-...ars-61737.html) or a super thin cut off wheel in an angle grinder. Depends on the thickness of the material.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

-------------------
      Mark

Maule M5-235C C-GJFK
      Bearhawk 4A #1078 (Scratch building - C-GPFG reserved)
      RV-8 C-GURV (Sold)

Comment

I have never had any luck using a jig saw on aluminum. I do use a circular hand saw with a very fine tooth panel cutting blade to cut aluminum sheets and plates. You just set the cutting depth to the minimum that will cut through the material you are cutting.

I made wood templates for the various rib forms and used a router to cut all my ribs to finished shape in a single step and 3 at a time.. I only had to finish the edges with Scotch Bright wheels to get the ribs ready to do the forming.

Comment

Originally posted by rv8bldr View Post
          I always use either a cheap electric shear ( http://m.harborfreight.com/18-gauge-...ars-61737.html) or a super thin cut off wheel in an angle grinder. Depends on the thickness of the material.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
          Yep, I have the next one up from that one:

http://www.harborfreight.com/14-gaug...ars-68199.html

It has done a nice job for me, for both .025" and .032". The only thing that's been a pain is the plastic layer protecting the aluminum would occasionally get hung up in the blades. But usually not a problem.

The nice thing about the one that S Lathrop posted is it doesn't leave any waste. The larger one that I used will waste about 3/16" of material with the cut.
          Christopher Owens

Comment

I use my jig saw with the hacksaw blade on thicker aluminum, like .050+ and it works very well. On thinner aluminum, not quite as good.

Comment

Thanks for the input guys. Sounds like the electric shear is the way to go.

Comment

Post #2 and #6 here show the waste from the shear that I used:

BBQ ribs are great, but wing ribs are pretty cool, too. http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/12/05/d3428b6c9b82131199d7085d5e61be25.jpg Getting the aft ribs
                Christopher Owens

Comment

• Bcone1381
                  Bcone1381 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  One vote for Chris' shear. I cut out the ribs blanks with a combination of aviation snips and Harbor Freight 12" aluminum snips, and never had thoughts of using my jig saw. But Chris' shear looks handy.

• Chris In Milwaukee
                  Chris In Milwaukee commented
                  Editing a comment
                  You definitely build up your forearm strength using it.

• aachanis
                  aachanis commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Chris - Those are some fine looking ribs. Well done. Bcone - I value my arm muscles. I need them to eat.
              Working...
              X