Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Preparing for a small shop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preparing for a small shop

So, I started getting my act back together today. Knowing that my space has shrunk a bit, I started with the big stuff. Instead of finding permanent homes for them as I had in my other shop, I chose to make them mobile this time around. In addition to my bandsaw which is already on a mobile base, Amazon and I had some quality time together and they sent me some very nice adjustable mobile bases.

I spent the day putting them together and got them under their respective tools. Now I can get them out of the way so I can clean out the rest of the garage.

The drill press is a bit top heavy, so I may end up making the base bigger and bolting it to some wood fastened to the base. When it goes, it gonna go fast.
    Last edited by Chris In Milwaukee; 07-08-2017, 08:51 PM.
    Christopher Owens
    Bearhawk 4-Place Scratch Built, Plans 991
    Bearhawk Patrol Scratch Built, Plans P313
    Germantown, Wisconsin, USA

I think I see the problem... My last two moves had a VERY specific requirement; First, I approve the shop. Second, is the big place where we sleep and eat. Of course, I didn't explain it to my wife - in exactly those words...

just how small is your new shop?

Bill

Comment

10x16 at the moment until I get to build a new garage. It's the third bay of a tandem garage. The roof pitch is 12x12, so I'm considering the possibility of making use of the attic space above in the interim. My previous shop was 20-something by 30-something.
      Christopher Owens

Comment

"10 x 16” !! Ouch! I feel your pain..

Leave the spars on the wall and start working on smaller welded parts, like rudder pedals, seat frames, gear legs, horizontal stabs and such. Lots of small parts to make. Keep up the momentum, working on stuff that fits the space. All gotta be done anyway.

Bill

Comment

Fine idea. And keeps welding skills sharp on "less important" parts.
          Christopher Owens

Comment

I decided against using a mobile base on my drill press on the advice of my local tool supplier. They had a customer who's mobile drill press tipped over and totaled the press. You might think about some outriggers at a minimum.

Comment

Originally posted by aachanis View Post
              I decided against using a mobile base on my drill press on the advice of my local tool supplier. They had a customer who's mobile drill press tipped over and totaled the press. You might think about some outriggers at a minimum.
              I agree. It's super tippy. I'll likely take it off the base and find a permanent home for it.
              Christopher Owens

Comment

About the mobil drill press; Mine is one of those "milling/drilling" thingies. I had it on a timber base and found myself needing to reposition it, occasionally, when working on long or awkward stuff. Attached is a picture of my solution.

Bill
                You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

That's a great idea. And all of your blades and bits are easily within reach. Much more bottom surface area than my regular drill press. Might adjust the base so it's bigger all the way around, as an option, add a board(s) to the base to give it more mass, and bolt the drill and base together.
                  Last edited by Chris In Milwaukee; 08-21-2017, 07:55 AM.
                  Christopher Owens

Comment

Working...
                  X