Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

glue for mylar ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• glue for mylar ?

got my master rib blueprint copied in mylar. Got the 1/2 MDF ready to glue it to. I have varnished and sanded the mdf so it is slick and smooth......
    Tried water based Hyde glue but the pores in the mylar aernt breatheable enough to allow it to set up. I am trying a polyester resin test now....
    Thought I would saw and sand the MDF and leave the mylar on while that is happening- so I want it down tight.
    have not googled yet--- but thought yall might know since yall have been doint it !

Tim

I used 3M 77. I sprayed it on the back of the Mylar and also the MDF. Let it tack up, then married the two. Worked great!
    Christopher Owens
    Bearhawk 4-Place Scratch Built, Plans 991
    Bearhawk Patrol Scratch Built, Plans P313
    Germantown, Wisconsin, USA

Comment

I also used 3M spray adhesive . Worked well.

Comment

Bob's manual has you glue it to a piece of 032. I liked this method. I used the 3m 77 product - sprayed on the 032. Two people can then slowly lower mylar onto 032.
        One advantage, is it is easy to cut with hand shears near the line. You then can use a file and make a perfect contour.
        It is possible to pin prick and drill accurate locations in the 032 sheet. The sheet will not change with humidity and can be hung on wall.
        I used a small spacer under the sheet and used it as a template for routing all of my forms. I filed the contour half way between the outer and inner edge. The inner edge is definitely wrong. Some use outside . As an aside, the additional use of material did not change the number of sheets needed. But, then again used aviation shears allowing for the best usage of the sheet
        You do not have permission to view this gallery.
        This gallery has 6 photos.
        Last edited by sjt; 10-26-2017, 08:20 PM.
        Stan
        Austin Tx

Comment

I did the same as SJT but used .062 as it was a bit stiffer and easier to use as a router template. If you are creative with router bushings, you can use the template to cut the oversize router templates as well as the slightly undersized backer.

I used a small spacer between the template and the MDF as SJT described and built an overarm for my router table, I used a 1/2" bit and used a 1/2" finger held by the overarm centered on the router bit to run against the template to cut the form blocks. I then just changed out the finger for the different required offsets.
          You do not have permission to view this gallery.
          This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Working...
          X