Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I Never seem regret tools---

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Never seem regret tools---

I just took a stab at my master rib form.
    Got 2 more duplicates on mylar just like bobs. I took my blank 1/2 mdf and coated it with minwax water clean up varnish on both sides to prevent warping
    from changes in himidity. Sanded the working side and gave another coat and sanded again. Slick. Then gave a coat of regular minwax varnish and sanded
    again.
    I tried to think of every possible adhesive but everything seemed to have a solvent which would attack the mylar and make it swell. I ended up using some
    3M super 90 in a spray can. About 3 coats on each surface. Let dry about 1/2 hour--- then applied. Then after I smoothed it out by hand i went back and
    rapped on it all over with a small dead blow mallet.
    Somehow - (dont ask me how-- I am a violinmaker--(??) ) I realized I didnt own ANY kind of sander. I cut to about a blade width on the band saw. As close as
    I dared. So I had to go sander shopping. There seemed to be only 1 choice. So I went to "big orange box" and got the rigid oscilating belt/spindle job.
    Hooked it up to the shop vac---- and I have to say--- it really couldnt have worked better for working the MDF down close to the line on the mylar. It only came with
    a coarse belt. I got it down to about 1/32 off the line. I will get a med or fine belt which chews slower to bet the last little bit up to the outside of the line.

I even accidentally found some 1/4 chrome molly tubing to make drill bushings for it. GOOD HEAVENS--- who knew store bought drill bushings are 20 $ EACH ?????
    They can insert those up their afterburner !

Mr. Router table is ready for action. i think i will try adding a plexiglass plate above the bit to keep shavings from coming up at me. i think I can attach the shop vac to the router housing.
    That should help too.

Bob's book which is shipped with the plans is pretty skimpy---- so I have to order the other one by eric n. Dont want to find out after making 40 ribs that they are incorrect :-)

The rigid sander works great ! if anyone needs a sander ----
    next will be making a 2-nd master rib so the first one is master and 2-nd is working copy. i like that idea.....

Tim

I also used these resources
    Share your videos with friends, family, and the world

stan austin tx
    Stan
    Austin Tx

Comment

Oh Yes ! been watching his great videos over and over !
      A blessing for sure !
      T

Comment

Working...
      X