Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This question to Bob...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fairchild View Post
    BCone---- I was thinking about making my rib forming blocks from 2 sheets of MDF - either 1/2 +3/4 or 3/4 + 3/4

Also thinking about the idea of pressing the flanged holes with the rubber -press method. Im thinking of why not let the rubber - at the same time-
    press the outer edges down. I expect it could/would fold them down part way- maybe 1/3 of the way. i would guess that most of the distortion might be
    induced at the first portion of the bend. So if that first portion was bent vis rubber---- that might make it easier. Then I would finish the edge bends
    with it in the MDF sandwich and mallet or flow forming tool. I think my ribber is about 12 by 18 so I can do the smaller rib parts.
    Do you think that will work ?
    Tim
    I tried, actually. Even with a 20-ton press, there's not enough oomph to bend the edges over. It barely budged. I was able to get it started on the smaller ribs (aileron and flap nose), but it was only about half bent, and I still had to massage them (in the link Brooks sent earlier). For the wing ribs (nose, center, aft), there just isn't enough pressure to do the job. The factory and other hydroforming operations use at least a couple hundred tons of pressure with a larger set of rams to distribute a lot of pressure over a wider area.

BBQ ribs are great, but wing ribs are pretty cool, too. http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/12/05/d3428b6c9b82131199d7085d5e61be25.jpg Getting the aft ribs

Wish it did work, though!
    Last edited by Chris In Milwaukee; 11-09-2017, 07:57 PM.
    Christopher Owens
    Bearhawk 4-Place Scratch Built, Plans 991
    Bearhawk Patrol Scratch Built, Plans P313
    Germantown, Wisconsin, USA

Comment

Working...
    X