Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shop Lighting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shop Lighting

I’ve been relegated to the basement (again) since it’s the only useful space I have at my new house until I can get a new garage built. As usual, it had the quintessential two ceramic (now plastic) light bulb fixtures in the ceiling. Hardly good shop lighting.

I called my electrician brother and asked for some advice on basement lighting. Told him I wanted it to be as bright as WalMart down there. He suggested LED Strip Lights from my local home store. So I headed down to Menards and picked up three 8-foot LED strip lights for $89US apiece and placed them around the perimeter of the room where benches would go. Holy cow are they bright!

I’ll pick up two or three more for the center of the shop, since I’ll probably put a welding table or something in the middle. As you can see, the utilities in the ceiling are casting some shadows.

So here’s an idea for you guys and gals putting together a shop. Inexpensive, bright, and efficient lighting for your workspace.

~Chris
    Last edited by Chris In Milwaukee; 12-04-2017, 09:57 AM.
    Christopher Owens
    Bearhawk 4-Place Scratch Built, Plans 991
    Bearhawk Patrol Scratch Built, Plans P313
    Germantown, Wisconsin, USA

Reading the title of your thread, I thought you might be asking for lighting suggestions. I was about to suggest some 4' LED light strips! We recently built a carport. I wired it and hung 6 of those strips (3bay carport). I darned near need sunglasses to park at night...
    Those things are AWESOME!

Bill

Comment

I was along the exact same thought train as Bill and was also going to suggest LED. Glad it's working out!
      Mark
      Scratch building Patrol #275
      Hood River, OR

Comment

For lights I found the cheapest option was to buy the 4 ft LED tubes from Amazon and re-wire some cheap housings from HD, you can build a 2-bulb light for under $35. I went 5000K for color acuity, clear rather than frosted because my shop ceiling is 14ft. Bright as hell and they'll pay for themselves

LED Bulbs:

Housing:
        Dave B.
        Plane Grips Co.
        www.planegrips.com

Comment

Working...
        X