Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fly Cutter progress and fix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fly Cutter progress and fix

Today I got another fly cutter- the general brand heavy duty from ace hdw. It seems generally OK. I put it in the lathe to check for out of round.
    i took the 1/4 inch bit out and put in a 1/4 inch rod. It was a bit off center and wobbly at the rod.
    I took it apart--- and I discovered that the hole where the bit goes is .260 instead of .251 like it should have been. (that could have been the problem with the first one)
    Once you tighten the set screw that holds the bit- that pushes the bit (or rod) laterally off center. So i scrounged for some brass shim stock but ended up using some copper
    adhesive tape. i could just drive the rod in. back in the lathe now its perfectly centered and now im HAPPY.

I like using a rod instead of the furnished bit so the bit cant enlarge the centering hole as its working. I used about 100 rpm and advanced it really slowly and
    it cut nice and accurate and I cut it from both sides. It only needed a few trips around it with the drum sander to perfect the surface. next i will glue another 3/4 piece to it and then
    cut the 2-nd piece on router to match the first to make a double sided forming block. (1.5 thick) I feel like I am moving along again now.
    here is a pic.........

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

That'll definitely keep things straight. Good solution!
    Christopher Owens
    Bearhawk 4-Place Scratch Built, Plans 991
    Bearhawk Patrol Scratch Built, Plans P313
    Germantown, Wisconsin, USA

Comment

Working...
    X