Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Drill press vise mounting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drill press vise mounting

I have a question for you machinists on this little vise I came across, and how I can best mount it to my drill press. As you can see in these photos, there appear to be two recesses on each side of the vise and a slot underneath that runs down the long axis. It's clear to me this vise is made to go with something - what is that something? What kind of clamps would work best for this? I'm able to fidget some C clamps but it seems it was intended for a better solution. I don't really want an x-y setup, but something still versatile and secure.
    I added a photo of the underside of the drill press table for reference.
    Thanks!
    Mark
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 4 photos.
    Mark
    Scratch building Patrol #275
    Hood River, OR

I have several of these vises. Not only the size you have but 2 others that are both larger and heavier. I just hand hold them. Now I pick the vise that has enough weight that hand holding will not be an issue.

The nice part of this type vise is that you can use it on its side. If you have not done that, you will wonder how you got along without one of these vises.

You can use T nuts and a mill type clamps set to clamp the vise to a drill table.

Comment

What's pictured is typically call a "Tool makers" vise. This one is store bought but a lot of them were a "first time machining and surface grinding project" for apprentices. They were made to high precision for holding small parts for milling and surface grinding. As S Lathrop said, the sides are flat so the vise can be used on its side.

The small notches in the top of the base would be for typical milling "toe clamps".

It is nice the bottom is set up for T slot nuts. The shop made ones I have are not.

For "reasonable size" holes, you can clamp a fence across the back portion of your table to rest the back corner of the vise against. That will let you "float" the hole in and still keep the vise from rotating if the bit grabs.
      Last edited by BTAZ; 12-10-2017, 02:44 PM.

Comment

Thanks guys.
        My first application of this is a 3/4" hole saw in 4130 plate. It's for the brackets on the wing support frames. So for that I think I do want to clamp it down, at least once the pilot is centered.
        You say the bottom is set up for a T-slot nut. To make sure I'm reading you right, are you saying I could find a t-slot nut that wide (~1-3/4") and slide it in there? It almost looks like it's meant for some kind of track.
        Mark
        Mark
        Hood River, OR

Comment

Have a look through the offerings here(https://www.mscdirect.com/browse/tn/...navid=12108802) for one that fits.

Comment

You can see on the bottom of the vice- it has a slot in the base on each side. However -- it doesnt look like a standard T-Slot like for a milling machine.
            Just get some 3/16 or 1/4 by 1 steel and cut a piece which will just fit into the slot (crossways in the slot) and then weld or tap and locktite in a stud (all thread or automotive type )
            that way you can let the stud go through the slots in the drill press table - couple of fender washers and a wing nut and you are golden.
            Tim

Comment

This is how my Ellis vise is set up and it works great
              You do not have permission to view this gallery.
              This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Toe clamps did it, they are awesome. I welded a little t-slot stud together and bolted the vice down, but it was still walking around. The toe clamps can be positioned right where the action is, where I simply cannot get another clamp on. Thanks for the tips!
                Last edited by Chewie; 12-21-2017, 06:46 PM.
                Mark
                Hood River, OR

Comment

Working...
                X