Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

protecting rib edge from fluting pliers ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• protecting rib edge from fluting pliers ?

A couple weeks ago I ordered Spruce's lowest priced pliers. Tested them- could see some marks in the sheet corresponding to the edges of the jaws.
    So I took the dremel and radiused the corners and then polished them with rouge. That mostly helped but still leaving a mark but now the mark is not as angry
    looking. I believe NOW- the mark may be where the sheet is sliding a little while under the pressure from the jaws as the material stretches. I tried putting some
    blue masking tape in both sides of the skin. That mostly fixed it completely. The blue tape seems a little thick---
    has anyone tried something like the riveting tape tape some people use on flush rivets ? Or maybe some of that tan slightly stretchy 1 inch striping tape ?
    Just curious ---- as we dont want ANY scratches or any kind or marks that could start a stress crack later or break the clad and give corrosion a place to bite in.

Tim

You might also try putting some protective tape on your pliers. I think I tried both the blue masking tape and electrical tape on them.....multiple wraps.
    Brooks Cone
    Southeast Michigan
    Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

sure -- will try several kinds----

Comment

Working...
      X