Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bob Barrows recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bob Barrows recommendations

I thought it would be helpful if there was a single thread that cataloged comments and recommendations from Bob. Anytime we individually have a conversation, it would be helpful to transcribe his information and pass it on to other group members.
    From a conversation I had with him, he pointed out that he uses a different way of handling the mylar.
    His practice is to use 0.032 aluminum and spray attach the mylar permanently. He never cuts the mylar out with scissors. He then cuts the mylar-aluminum template out using half the width of the ink contour mark. The half width leaves a witness line documenting the contour's accuracy. He also regards the center of the vertical ink markings as the reference line for the main spar.
    It is this permanent mylar-aluminum template that is used for tracing outlines for the form blocks.
    On another subject, he commented that it his practice to leave all ribs full size, and trim them to length later.
    Last edited by sjt; 07-14-2014, 09:20 PM.
    Stan
    Austin Tx

If I may...I cut each rib to installed length when I fab'd them up. I made tooling for full size, .125 & .250 short. That was a year ago, I am now assembling my wing and having the ribs made to the correct length with properly constructed tooling has resulted in a assembly that is going together easily and is perfectly straight. It was a bunch of work on the front end but I feel it was more than worth it. IMO, you will not get the accuracy cutting them to fit by hand. YMMV
    Dave Bottita The Desert Bearhawk
    Project Plans #1299
    N1208 reserved www.facebook.com/desertbearhawk/

Comment

Will Bob be at Airventure?
      Mark
      Scratch building Patrol #275
      Hood River, OR

Comment

Working...
      X