Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another mediocre video...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another mediocre video...

Added the old Hero "1" in the cabin. This was the first video I took from there. It was too far forward and/or pointed too high. (I do LOVE the wifi preview capability on the new GoPro's!) The old GoPro has less dynamic range so what can be seen of the instrument panel is black. I also didn't have a filter so the prop is annoying.

The new Hero 3+ still gets mounted under the left wing. However, I used its nifty, wiz-bang feature of being able to wake it up and see the preview but forgot to press the button to actually start recording until after I had done a bunch of landings and was headed to the next airport.

Both of them ran out of battery before I did a couple landings on a local frozen lake. ...thus the landing over the 95 ft trees back at my home base is also missing. Finally, I've not figured out how to select good music that won't get me in trouble with the copyright police, so I don't have any. Maybe someday I'll get better at this.

I cut out a lot of the redundant landings. The shortest was close to 240 ft. Since on an other forum I recently commented the you should rate your landing length based on the worst, I will report that the longest was about 340 ft. I was just a little high and just a little fast and I knew it. Had it been important to land short, I would have gone around. Density altitude was about -2700 ft. Temps were around 15F? Flying weight was about 2130 lbs. Winds were about 7-8 kts at 10-20 degrees to the runway.

At the next airport, the uphill landing on the parallel taxiway was made exciting by the light dusting of snow that resulted in precious little braking. The pavement as significant undulations in the critical higher speed segments shortly after touchdown near the crest of the hill which also cut into the effectiveness of the brakes. In spite of about 15-20 ft of up-hill roll, I used up about 420 ft. ...with about 40 ft to spare!

I've done this landing from the bottom of the hill before and could easily stop before the top. However the goal was to land on the steep part of the hill. I put it down just about exactly where I wanted it, but did expect the braking to be that bad on pavement just from a light dusting.

Cheers!
    Vimeo is the home for high-quality videos and the people who love them.

Just reviewed the video and google imagery again. I think the uphill landing had more like 65-70 ft of spare space. The 40 estimate was a little low. ;-)

Comment

I enjoyed that!
      -------------------
      Mark

Maule M5-235C C-GJFK
      Bearhawk 4A #1078 (Scratch building - C-GPFG reserved)
      RV-8 C-GURV (Sold)

Comment

Working...
      X