Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Engine cowl and boot cowl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine cowl and boot cowl

According the Bearhawk book page 50 you should use 6# flush head screws with nut plate to attach the boot cowl to the firewall
    Is it ok to attach the boot and the engine cowl together with the same 6# screw to the firewall except the doors which
    need separate quick release fasteners ?

Yes,though you will remove the engine cowl many more times than the boot cowl so best to be separate.

Comment

I Did this and it works good but I would install 4 screws that keep the boot cowl in position when you remove the engine cowl

Comment

Thanks for the advice
        I think I will use some separate screws for the boot cowl and the rest to attach the boot and engine cowl to the firewall with the 6# flush head screws if it not sacrifice the strength.
        Is it correct that the top engine cowl only is attached two places (at the u profile ) to the firewall ?

Comment

Screws all across the top cowl

Comment

Thank you for your answer

Comment

I used #8 screws for durability, due to the frequent installation and removal.

Comment

You have a good argument. I have considered the 8# screw.Worn out some 6# screws already
                Have you used 8# with dimpled nut at the firewall ?

Comment

Yes, with rivets holding the boot cowl to the firewall in strategic places, such as under the big hatch.

Comment

Also I prefer the number 8 screws for durability in a high vibration area.

Eric Newton
                    Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC
                    Rugged Tailwheels for your experimental aircraft. Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC manufactures the original Bearhawk Tailwheel for bush flying.

Bearhawk Builder Manuals
                    Eric Newton - Long Beach, MS
                    Bearhawk Tailwheels and Builder's Manuals
                    http://bhtailwheels.com

Comment

• roy538
                      roy538 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Eric does the #8 screws need to be plated or stainless? AN 507 or AN509?

Thanks for good advise

Comment

Working...
                    X