Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bearhawk Model B announcement

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are the new plans available as of now or when will they be available? Also, is there any consideration to giving a discount to current 4 place plan owners?

Comment

• jaredyates
      jaredyates commented
      Editing a comment
      The best person to ask would be Bob Barrows at 540-473-3661. Last time I spoke with him he was still working that out.

I missed this thread until now. I am very happy to see the improvements. However, the change that I've been dying to see is a really nice slotted flap. Perhaps something like on the Husky? I can't help thinking that it would shorten take-off and landing.

I know, I know... a slotted flap is a more invasive change than "just" beefing up and tweaking the proven Patrol wing, but I believe it would add significant value.

Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by kestrel View Post
      I missed this thread until now. I am very happy to see the improvements. However, the change that I've been dying to see is a really nice slotted flap. Perhaps something like on the Husky? I can't help thinking that it would shorten take-off and landing.

I know, I know... a slotted flap is a more invasive change than "just" beefing up and tweaking the proven Patrol wing, but I believe it would add significant value.

Cheers!
      +1

The Bearhawk flaps are great for drag, but they are missing an easy chance for an significant extra lift. There is a reason why almost all modern light single engine planes use that slotted design, it's because they make a big difference.

But of course the redesign would be time consuming and expensive, and would probably not increase sales in a measurable way. At this stage, there's probably no return on investment for such a change to the kitset. Sad but probably true.

Comment

Re: Slotted Flaps. I'm building a Patrol, but have only done a couple of runway hops in one. (Thanks Mark!) I was very impressed with the minumal airspeed required to fly. Having about a thousand hours in Huskies, I also think about the benefits of the slotted flap system. I know the Patrol will fly in the high 30's and that's great! But, what if slotted flaps get that to the mid 30's? Because of that, I'm considering Doug Keller's double slotted flaps:
        image.png

Not right away, but I'm thinking ahead.....

Bill
        Last edited by Bdflies; 09-20-2016, 08:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Battson View Post
          ... and would probably not increase sales in a measurable way.
          Such a measurement would be difficult. Measurement or not, I'm certain it would increase sales. Unfortunately, my life doesn't permit building leaving me to buy what others are selling. If I could buy a Bearhawk 4 place with Keller's flaps on it, I would.

Comment

• Bdflies
            Bdflies commented
            Editing a comment
            The beauty of Keller's flap system, is that he'll build up a set, to your specs. This means that you could get a set made for your Bearhawk! I'm sure there will be some "fitting", but it's not like you have to build a new plane.
            This is why I'm considering a retrofit, in the future. I am absolutely confident that the Barrows designs are excellent STOL aircraft. I wouldn't have sold my Husky, to build a Patrol, if I didn't believe that. I look at the Patrol and consider the possibility of the Keller flaps and think good thoughts!

Bill

• Battson
            Battson commented
            Editing a comment
            The Keller system looks great. The only problem being the cost. For a custom setup like a Bearhawk, you would need to bring $$,$$$.
        Working...
        X