Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Horizontal Stab Fairings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Horizontal Stab Fairings

Hi, all. I just started the fabric for my horizontal stabs. Got as far as attaching to trailing edge and then had one of those 2:00 a.m. "wake-up calls"... How am I attaching the fairings? I was wondering how folks are going about creating attach points. (I have the wood airfoils installed also.) I was wondering if I could move forward with fabric and create aluminum "L"-shaped brackets with nut plates on top surface that I would blind rivet to the butt rib. Thanks for any input.
    Larry Driver
    Bearhawk 4-Place Quickbuild N22LD
    Mogollon Airpark, Overgaard AZ

Very timely! I'm about to cover my horizontal stabs also. I have the wood strips as well. I saw that most people have epoxied nut plates. I was planning to do the same. What have the rest of you done?
    Bobby Stokes
    4-Place Kit Builder
    Queen Creek, AZ
    http://azbearhawk.com

Comment

I was planning to use the epoxied nut plates as well, but I have a ways to go before I need to worry about it.

Comment

Thanks, Bob and Patrick. I've started covering one of my horizontals stabs. So not too late to epoxy in some nut plates. Thanks.

Bob - I'm up at Mogollon Airpark in Overgaard. I see you are in Litchfield Park. Please feel free to visit any time. We have lots of building activity going on up here, including my quickbuild BH (posted this in "plans built" in error) and a friend's Patrol LSA. Our EAA Chapter typically meets the first Saturday of every month at 0800 and you are always welcome to drop in.
        Larry Driver

Comment

I just finished epoxying mine. I used a dremel tool to recess the area in the wood just enough so the nut plates end up being flush.

Awesome! We camp quite often on the Mogollon Rim, so I'd love to stop buy some time! We've got a camping trip planned early May, so I'll see if we can't stop by then.
          Bobby Stokes
          4-Place Kit Builder
          Queen Creek, AZ

Comment

You're always welcome, Bobby. I see you fly for SW. You probably know our neighbor Mike Kelly who's a SW capt.

Just finished epoxying mine on left stab. Did same. Dremel'ed a recess, dimpled #6 nut plates and used #2 X 1/2" wood screws (overkill I'm sure) and epoxied over them.

Attached Files
            Larry Driver

Comment

Looks great! The screws might be overkill, but overkill helps us sleep at night!

I know Mike, he's a great guy. I haven't flown with him yet, but he's kind of a hero around here!
              Bobby Stokes
              4-Place Kit Builder
              Queen Creek, AZ

Comment

Yes, Mike' a great guy, awesome sense of humor, and not a bad "skylight" 737 driver. He is building a Javeron cub. Bought an RV4 a while back that he keeps up here.
                Larry Driver

Comment

Does anyone have a picture of the installed horizontal stab fairings?

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                  X