Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Piano Hinges for wingtips?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Piano Hinges for wingtips?

I saw a builder use piano hinges to attach the wing tips and thought this was a great idea. Wonder if anyone has tried this. Not sure how the pin will slide in on the curved portion of the wing profile, but going to give this a try.

Ooops! just saw mswain has used this method.

Question for mswain: What size hinge did you use?

Comment

I have used this method to mount parts on race cars. The trick is to replace the original hinge wire with an undersized wire.

Comment

I used MS20257P4 hinges. I have a small access panel I built into the top of the wingtip that I access the pins. I chuck the pins in a cordless drill to get them in and out.

Comment

I think I have seen this used on the kitfox to attach the hood top panels. I like it because unlike camming fasteners- the hinge spreads out the load over a long length
          which should take a lot longer to fatigue the sheet metal. The camming fasteners seem to be concentrate the fatigue forces and make the sheet metal crack around
          the cam locks or camming latches. Just an observation.

Comment

The RV6A that I built several years back used piano hinges to hold the cowling to the fuselage as well as hold the two cowling halves together. Very slick...hinges were concealed and you reached through the oil access door to remove the pins. Pins on the sides came out through a slot in the front of the cowling. One had to be sure they were very well locked in place because they could work forward and get into the propeller...ouch!

Comment

Working...
            X