Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rudder steering horn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rudder steering horn

Does anyone know the source of the rudder steering horn on Bob's Patrol? I am thinking it is one he fabricated from 3/4 bar and approximately 0.100 4130 sheet. I would like to do the same. I looked at it closely at Oshkosh but never asked. I think the 4 place in the booth display had the same part.

The rudder horn on the 4 place came installed on the rudder as part of the kit. I would think it would be illustrated in the plans and yes it is just a fabricated strip of material.

Comment

I checked the patrol plans. Only the rudder horn is documented there, no tailwheel steering horn.

bearhawkaircraft.com does not show anything. I looked at my photos of Bobs Parol that I took while at Oshkosh and see what you are looking for.

I should have access to my factory kit tomorrow and will snap a photo and take some measurements. I think Bob's may be shaped more spherical and the factories shaped more triangular. We'll see unless someone else come forward with better info before then.
      Last edited by Bcone1381; 08-24-2017, 08:07 PM.
      Brooks Cone
      Southeast Michigan
      Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

That will be helpful- I have the same tailwheel configuration as the Patrol with tapered rod tail spring.

Comment

The Steering horn thickness 3/16" (.187) The distance from the center of the rudder to the hole in the tip of the steering horn for the tail wheel chain is 4 inches. It sweeps back then forward and avoids the tail post by a fairly wide margin. The first and second photo was taken with the rudder fully deflected to the right. The third photo has a straight piece of material touching the bottom of each of the horns tips as an indicator of angle that the factory fabricates these horns to. The fourth photo has a good image of the profile and sweep of the horn.

IMG_3921.jpgIMG_3922.jpgIMG_3923.jpgIMG_3924.jpg
          Brooks Cone
          Southeast Michigan
          Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

Thank you! That is very helpful information

Comment

I am searching for bearhawk 4-place steering yoke detail. Is your design just for a patrol model

Comment

• Bcone1381
                Bcone1381 commented
                Editing a comment
                Tim;

The photos are of a Patrol steering yoke just as it was fabricated by the factory. I do not know what the 4-place has. It seems highly likely to me that the four place kit ships with the identical steering yoke. But, would the Patrol Stinger tailwheel spring make a difference? (You may be using a 2" flat "Pawnee style" tailwheel spring.)

This is my 4place model A Bearhawk 364CC647-40BB-4AC3-AC31-9D102929E6C1.jpeg
              You do not have permission to view this gallery.
              This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Thanks. My build are from original model, drawing number #398. No drawing on steering horn just a reference on bottom of rudder for mount tube stem for the steering horn to bolt or weld to. No shape or metal thickness or layout of actual horn.

Comment

Working...
                X