Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rear spar splice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear spar splice

i have been looking over the plans and book and I can’t seem to find the layout of the .032 spar splice I only see that it’s 10” wide but don’t see the complete layout like the front spar splice. I can come up with something that would be close but how many rivets need to be in it Is there something I am missing or is the info somewhere else?

I just looked at the plans, and I didn't see a full-size layout like the others. But on the sheet with the rear spar layout, you can see how many rivets are in use. We know that it's 10 inches long, so start there. Count the number of rivets on the drawing along the center line of the splice. Then, give yourself ample edge distance from the left/right edges (should be able to approximate it with a scale and the drawing, I imagine), and make a couple of dots. Count the number of rivets in the center line, subtract one, and divide by that number. That's your rivet spacing. Or use a rivet fan, which is an even better idea. Then, you can use that spacing in the top and bottom line of rivets, and figure out roughly the angle you need to cut it at.

It doesn't need to be precise to the .0001", really. If it makes you feel better, however, feel free to mock it up on a sheet of paper, set your hole spacing, and use it as your own full-sized template.

~Chris
    Christopher Owens
    Bearhawk 4-Place Scratch Built, Plans 991
    Bearhawk Patrol Scratch Built, Plans P313
    Germantown, Wisconsin, USA

Comment

Thanks Chris.
      that's what I was going to do. but wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something. I will sit down and use cad to draw it up. I have all of the other fittings in cad and will be getting those cut out on a waterjet in the next few weeks. and wanted to get this done and have it cut as well.
      thanks james

Comment

That’s likely what I’ll do, too. I made routing forms for the thick stuff, but I haven’t done the aft spar splice yet. Probably for the same reason as you.
        Christopher Owens
        Bearhawk 4-Place Scratch Built, Plans 991
        Bearhawk Patrol Scratch Built, Plans P313
        Germantown, Wisconsin, USA

Comment

Working...
        X