Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

alodine question -

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• alodine question -

I have a gollon of PPG version of alodyne. It is at least 6 years old and doesnt seem to work any more. However - i just found
    in the cabinet a quart of the clear PPG version. How do I tell if the clear version is still working or if it too does nothing ?
    I am planning on picking up another gallon locally anyway..... but is there a way to tell if the clear is good ?

Tim

If it is more than two years old, you can expect it to be bad. Exposure to sunlight and air will reduce that time significantly.
    A good primer may eliminate the need for Alodine, and some have reported paint adhering better without it.

Patrick

Comment

Thanks Pat-
      Got a fresh quart-- (all they had)
      Tried a very small test sample and it made a beautifull copper color in just 30 sec. of immersion. Then I tool the very small amount I used
      and reduced it about 100 % with distilled water. Tried another similar sample. Much slower this time. left it about 5 min.
      did not get as deep a color-- this time a light gold instead of a deeper copper. Called the PPG rep and asked about dilution----
      all she culd say was "we dont recommend it--" which seems to say that they just dont know ------ but they dont want to admit that......

I have to go back and get another gallon when they get it in so I can submerge my ribs in it. I think I will get a better more even
      job that way than just dabbing with a sponge. (never liked that anyway.....)

Anyone tried diluting ?

Tim

Comment

Working...
      X