Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Page 3 questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Page 3 questions

The drawing called.... wing rib.... is the actual size of the finished rib including the flange

is the page 7 drawing .050 smaller to account for the flanges on the top and bottom already taking this into account?

I'm wondering out loud if others have made thier formers slightly smaller to account for the .025 thickness of the flange? But leave the nose area untouched since it has no flange to account for. Sort of a long joggle...

The reason I'm asking this is because if the flange width is not accounted for then you will have flat spots running along the leading edge of the wing top and bottom....full length of the wing...not big mind you...probably 1/4 inch wide

does the factory do the joggle on the central ribs for the main spar to nestle into, I watched thier video and it appears they don't, but it's hard to tellI've heard on here it's optional...on average how many builders do their joggles?
    Last edited by way_up_north; 12-15-2018, 04:20 PM.

No need to overthink it. Cut your Mylar to the line or maybe slightly through it and roll wth it. You’re making parts for your plane and no others. So your master will be right for everything on your plane.
    Christopher Owens
    Bearhawk 4-Place Scratch Built, Plans 991
    Bearhawk Patrol Scratch Built, Plans P313
    Germantown, Wisconsin, USA

Comment

I took the Mylar drawing to Office Depot and had them make a print of the drawing full size.. I then glued the print to a piece of 1" thick, hard maple wood. I then cut right on the line. That was the master for forming the ribs. And I used that master to form the reinforcing pieces above the main fuel tanks. Having the details from the Mylar on the forming master was very useful.
      Last edited by S Lathrop; 12-16-2018, 07:15 AM.

Comment

My factory Patrol wing has the center ribs Joggled to fit up under the main spar's flange.
        Brooks Cone
        Southeast Michigan
        Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

Working...
        X