Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

O-540 cost

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• O-540 cost

Anyone know what Bob is charging for 0-540 or what they are generally selling for?

I suggest you just call Bob and ask. When I was contemplating where to get an engine for my LSA, he gave me a very good price on an O-200. The only reason I did not buy his engine was that my long time A & P had an engine he needed to sell and he overhauled it for me. I think Bob will give you a price over the phone and I would bet it will be very competitive. That was my experience. Bob

Comment

I never got into serious negotiations with Bob, but about a year ago we were ballparking around 26K......pretty sure that's just the motor....no accessories. In all of my searching and talking with various vendors at Sun N Fun, noone was even in the same ballpark as Bob. I ended up finding a used IO-540, time will tell if it's any good.......otherwise I was gong to have Bob build me a motor.
      Last edited by mswain; 12-19-2016, 08:27 AM.

Comment

One thing I didn't fully appreciate at the outset, buying a cheaper engine means a few corners must be cut in order to find cost saving. Even if it's zero timed. Its a bit like buying an old house, yes its going to be cheaper up front - but you do need to plan for more spend in the near future to keep it up to scratch. Most times, a brand new engine with all new parts will last longer before requiring corrective work.

Comment

Working...
        X