Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Flap Pulley Cable Guards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flap Pulley Cable Guards

I'm not coming up with a good way to secure the flap pulley cable guards. I recall there was mention that securing them was recommended but not a must since they have bearings and you can torque down on the bearing which should lock the guard in place. Just curious what others may have done. Thanks.
    Larry Driver
    Bearhawk 4-Place Quickbuild N22LD
    Mogollon Airpark, Overgaard AZ

The theory is that the tube cluster above the pulley functions as a cable guard. In that corner. But some builders use a bent up U piece also a little further aft in that spot. Some A&P's always want a part of the cable guard attached to structure so it will not rotate or move. But other A&P's think a cable guard with no 3rd attach point is not always needed. Bob just relies on the bolt/nut in many places on his planes. We have had discussions about it. So there is a little difference of opinion as to what is required or best practice.

I would look at where you were trying to place the cable guard and see what worse case scenario would be if it rotated. I would think a flap cable guard rotating would be less dangerous (although could cause a lot of excitement) than an aileron cable binding up. Mark

Comment

Mark, my latest conclusions exactly. The chances of rotation are slim with the bolt torqued against the shaft with a bearing pulley. And the chance of the guard rotating AND the cable jumping off AND and an incident as a result of those planets aligning even slimmer and not something to lose sleep over. Thank you.
      Larry Driver
      Bearhawk 4-Place Quickbuild N22LD
      Mogollon Airpark, Overgaard AZ

Comment

Working...
      X