Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tail post splice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tail post splice

I was looking at my tail today and noticed that there is a splice a few inches above the h-stab. Anyone else have this? Is it because the lower tubing is thicker or just because the factory was saving material?

Hi Matt. Your guesses about why the tail post is spliced are not correct. First of all - every 4 place kit has the tailpost spliced like yours does. The reason it is done like that is the fuselage jig. The top of the big fuselage jig is welded in place so the fuselage is pulled out with just the stub/bottom of the tailpost welded in. Then the guys do an FAA type splice with diagonal cut, tube inserted, and rosette welds to splice in the top of the tailpost.

When the factory developed the fuselage jigs for the Patrol & LSA - they made the top of it removable so the tailpost can be finished in the big jig. But the 4 place fuselage jig made in North Carolina has always been like I describe.Mark

Comment

Thanks for that.

That tells me that the tailpost is 7/8 .049. I plan on stiffening the tail post with a bushing, as I will probably be beating on it.

Comment

Working...
      X