Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mounting flaps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mounting flaps

I have temporarily mounted my RH flap to check for clearance and have noticed one area of binding. You can see in the photo there is a hole in the leading edge of the flap that lines up with the head of an AN4 bolt which holds the flap torque tube. The hole and the bolt don’t line up exactly and are catching. Has anyone just opened up this hole up? Or is there another solution.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 2 photos.
    Last edited by SimonNicholson; 10-14-2019, 11:46 PM.

I opened up the hole. Another builder I know added large AN970 washers between the rear spar and the hinge mount iron to move the flap away from the spar.
    Last edited by Bcone1381; 10-15-2019, 07:43 PM.
    Brooks Cone
    Southeast Michigan
    Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

• yateselden
      yateselden commented
      Editing a comment
      Washers behind the hinge bracket was also the answer for me.

Thanks Brooks. I was thinking of packing out that mount but I didn’t want to put any twist of the other two mounts. Apart from that binding it is swinging very smoothly.

Comment

These are kits? Building from scratch I was hoping to just locate that hole based on the installed condition.
      Mark
      Scratch building Patrol #275
      Hood River, OR

Comment

You can open up that hole in the leading edge of the flap so that bolt head clears. Putting washers under the weldments to move the entire flap back some is also possible but would not seem necessary to me. You would never just put washers under one weldment. You would need to do them all. Mark

Comment

You might find you need to elongate the hole. On my installation the bolt would catch in the hole when the flap began its travel. It would kind of click into place. So, I opened it up (elongated it) a bit so there was no contact with the flap leading edge passing by the bolt.
          Brooks Cone
          Southeast Michigan
          Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

If you look carefully at the plans, the c/l of that hole is NOT in the centre of the flange - the factory have cut it in the wrong place. So, yes, it does need to be elongated.

I've mentioned the error to Mark ......

Comment

Working...
            X