Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Tundra Tailwheel Order

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Tundra Tailwheel Order

I just got a Tailwheel order from a gentleman up in Canada who has the Rover Bearhawk, the one with the Rover V8 engine. He broke his old 8" Tailwheel (not one of mine) on some river bank rocks and ordered one of my Tundra tailwheels to replace it. He happened to get it on video, both the breaking of it and the landing and taxiing back at his home airport afterward. He gave me permission to share it - thought y'all would enjoy. Pretty cool video - see the link below.

While landing on a gravel bar, a rock flies up off the main gear and shears off the tail wheel. After a safe flight back to the airport, the pilot lands and ...

The broken Tailwheel looks like a Scott? Not sure, but it's not a Bearhawk one.
    Eric Newton - Long Beach, MS
    Bearhawk Tailwheels and Builder's Manuals
    http://bhtailwheels.com

That's a nice save!

Comment

That happened a long while ago, perhaps a year ago? I believe an earlier copy of the same video was shared on BCP by user "175 magnum", who was the builder of that plane [but I'm not sure he still owns it?].
      I think they made weld repairs on the tailwheel which broke, from memory the containing ring on the tail wheel arm cracked. So I guess he has subsequently decided to upgrade, if you've just received the order for the new design.
      Last edited by Battson; 01-14-2015, 04:02 PM.

Comment

Pretty impressive tail wheel taxiing skills, though.

Comment

Cool! Thanks for sharing Eric.
          Barry Cole plans building serial #265 Patrol

Comment

Originally posted by Battson View Post
            That happened a long while ago, perhaps a year ago? I believe an earlier copy of the same video was shared on BCP by user "175 magnum", who was the builder of that plane [but I'm not sure he still owns it?].
            I think they made weld repairs on the tailwheel which broke, from memory the containing ring on the tail wheel arm cracked. So I guess he has subsequently decided to upgrade, if you've just received the order for the new design.
            Yes, he said he was looking at going with a Tundra but wanted it to be experimental rather a certified one so replacement parts wouldn't be so expensive.
            Eric Newton - Long Beach, MS
            Bearhawk Tailwheels and Builder's Manuals
            http://bhtailwheels.com

Comment

Working...
            X