Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tell us what you did today on your Bearhawk Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prepare to be underwhelmed!

I've been planning on drilling out the jig pin and lightening holes in my master template for a while. In following the efforts of those that have gone before me, I elected to install drill bushings. I decided on using 3/16" steel brake lines. Conveniently, a #30 drill fits almost perfectly inside and a #12 bit is the perfect size for the outside diameter. I cut a couple with a tubing cutter, but quickly decided this would be better handled on a lathe. Really, I was just looking for an excuse to learn the very basics of using a lathe.

So I took the tubing to work and asked one of the machine shop dudes to help me out. Long story short, I wound up with a small pile of completely unremarkable drill bushings installed/hidden in my master template. I had a blast running the lathe and learning some very basic stuff.
    Last edited by quesauce; 07-26-2016, 04:03 PM.
    Cheers,
    Kevin Ford

Comment

• More lathe work! Now that the master template is done, I need to make the cutting forms. To do so, I need the magic washers that Bob talks about in the "manual" that give a 9/16" and 1/2" flange. It was a slow day in the shop, so this was another opportunity for a lesson on the lathe.

Starting with the 9/16" flange, we took some 1 1/2" delrin rod (conveniently the required outside diameter) and put it in the lathe. We bored the center hole to 3/8", trued the O.D. and faced the end. We then changed to the parting tool and cut a 1/8" thick washer. I repeated the process for the 1/2" flange washer all by myself just like a big boy.

I'm now the owner of two white plastic washers that to the casual observer are completely unremarkable. They are, however, made to a ridiculously tight tolerance as they are accurate to the thousandth according to the calipers. Which is, of course, completely unnecessary. Ed, the machinist, was laughing at how carefully I was riding the tolerances but damn it, I wanted my washers to be the best they could be.

There's an old joke about measuring with a micrometer, marking with a crayon, and cutting with an axe. Seems about my speed...
      Last edited by quesauce; 07-29-2016, 08:51 PM.
      Cheers,
      Kevin Ford

Comment

• Dry fit the raw parts for the main spar last night. Everything fits where it's supposed to, so I did it right.

My daughter helped deburr spar parts with me as well:

Christopher Owens
        Bearhawk 4-Place Scratch Built, Plans 991
        Bearhawk Patrol Scratch Built, Plans P313
        Germantown, Wisconsin, USA

Comment

• I just can't give enough praise to you scratch build guys. I really appreciate your talent and drive. Chris, having your daughter working with you is so special. I imagine it blows away her friends that she's helping build an airplane!

Comment

• Chris In Milwaukee
            Chris In Milwaukee commented
            Editing a comment
            I taught here about Galvanic Corrosion last night. I can't wait to hear that conversation with her friends!

• Av8rPaul
            Av8rPaul commented
            Editing a comment
            LOL. That's awesome.

• As promised to myself, returning from Oshkosh, I've begun the paint process. It's not just painting, but truly a much more involved 'process'. I have a nice air conditioned workshop, but wouldn't dare paint in there. So, all spraying and sanding is done in the hangar. For those who don't know, August, in Louisiana, is hot! The process goes like this; Sweat, spray, sweat, sand, sweat, spray, sweat, sand, repeat...

Bill
          You do not have permission to view this gallery.
          This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

• mswain
            mswain commented
            Editing a comment
            Oh Boy.......

• You should borrow one of those Air conditioned EVA space suits from NASA. they may be a bit hard to work in but they would keep you cool. Don't worry about the $12M price tag. You could probably pick up one used and you would be the coolest looking painter at ten airport.
          John Snapp (Started build in Denver, CO) Now KAWO -Arlington Washington Bearhawk Patrol - Plans #255 Scratch built wing and Quickbuild Fuselage as of 11/2021. Working on skinning the left wing! -Ribs : DONE -Spars: DONE, Left wing assembly's: DONE., Top skins : DONE YouTube Videos on my building of patrol :https://m.youtube.com/user/n3uw

Comment

• Bdflies
            Bdflies commented
            Editing a comment
            But John, I am the coolest looking painter at the airport!
            MSwain, aren't you in Florida? Kinda warm there too, isn't it? Tee hee.......
            Every day spent in the hangar is a day closer to the air conditioned shop!

Bill

• mswain
            mswain commented
            Editing a comment
            I am in Florida, home of the 90+% humidity. I can sympathize. There must be many gallons of sweat on my garage floor. I think I take about 5 showers on a normal weekend day

• Push/pull cable trim system almost done. Pretty much followed Pat's design with our own tweaks.

Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

• Made a little progress on the trim system.

Sorry, we couldn’t find that page

Comment

• Feeling less complete...

Comment

• I see what you did there...nice. I'm curious to see the routing to the tabs now.

Comment

• Huge milestone: Fuselage welding DONE. Off to the sand blaster tomorrow.

Comment

• That IS a huge milestone! Congratulations!!

Bill

Comment

• Getting a start on the wings for the patrol. Will order the aluminum for the wings shortly, I believe the bottom, one piece skin is .025, but where is the thickness for the bottom skin listed, on the plans ?

Thanks
                      DFW

Comment

• Painted parts!
                        If all goes according to plan, fuselage gets base color tomorrow... And a visitor from the west!

Bill

Comment

• Whee, congrats on finishing the welding. Those tab installations seem to go on forever don't they?

Comment

Working...
                          X