Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Storing Aluminum sheets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Storing Aluminum sheets

Trying to save shipping costs, I would like to buy all my Aluminum sheets at once.

How is everyone storing their sheets in between use and is it a problem to not use a sheet for multiple years?

thanks!

Eric

I bought all my aluminum in 4x12 sheets, and built a rack that stores it on its long edge at a slight incline. It should have no life limit like that. Sadly, mine has been like that a while.
    Christopher Owens
    Bearhawk 4-Place Scratch Built, Plans 991
    Bearhawk Patrol Scratch Built, Plans P313
    Germantown, Wisconsin, USA

Comment

ASC will roll aluminum for shipping. Both .25" and .32 2024-T3 lay nice and flat after...if you tell the shipping folks.....they'll roll thicker sheets. I ordered .50" 3003....it will not lay flat after rolling.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

I bought my sheets as 4x12 as well and made my bench wide enough to store them on shelves underneath. the top sheet of every shelf is on cardboard so you can slide it out the end and cut off what you need. made a shelf that pulls out for the 4130 plate because there are so many small pieces and heavy.

Comment

Just a quick look at the rack I made for my sheet metal.
          You do not have permission to view this gallery.
          This gallery has 1 photos.
          Christopher Owens
          Bearhawk 4-Place Scratch Built, Plans 991
          Bearhawk Patrol Scratch Built, Plans P313
          Germantown, Wisconsin, USA

Comment

I purchased all the AL for the wing except the the skin. I am storing it rolled up.

I moved all my aluminum from the Garage into the basement. We know that Temperature and moisture fluctuations in the air will produce condensation. There are reports where surface corrosion started on AL underneath the plastic coating. Some of the coating on mine has air under it and is not in contact with the AL. So I believe these areas are where future corrosion is possible in that garage environment.

Regarding storage, I left mine rolled up, but not tightly rolled. AL has a spring back nature to a point. That point is nowhere close to being approached, and I don't believe that "time in the rolled up state" will change that spring back tendency. Things stay springy until they are forced too far, past the spring back point. So, I think I am fine leaving it rolled up. If anyone has some data to show I am wrong, I welcome he feedback.
            Brooks Cone
            Southeast Michigan
            Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

Take the plastic off or it will be much harder to remove later. Ask me how I know...

Comment

Warming things up with a heat gun help getting stubborn plastic off. Just don't melt it.

Comment

Has anyone tried storing 8 foot sheets on the short edge (vertical or inclined)? Are there any issues having it lay against plywood (moisture, etc.)? I'm trying to figure out the smallest footprint I can get away with. My first plan was something along the lines of what Chris built.

Thanks,
                  Andrew 4 Place #1225

Comment

A rack like Chris built can result in sliding/buckling down in vertical situation. A narrow slot should work though. Regarding moisture issues, I sure like my dehumidifier.

Comment

I was figuring on sandwiching the AL sheet with hardboard or 1/4 ply for that reason. Maybe even set a couple clamps. I think that would work for a long edge inclined rack, but not short edge or vertical.

Comment

Working...
                      X